Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TFD9427

Westchester Special Ops Task Force

2 posts in this topic

I was just reading this months Fire Engineering and there was an article about the Westchester Special Operations Task Force under the News in Brief section. In the article it said that the Task Force is compromised of 9 different communities. I was wondering how this worked? I am asking because we have a Special Ops division where I work. We are constantly looking for funding and different ideas. We are trying to get together with some surrounding towns and work together, but we seem to be hitting road blocks.

I guess what I am looking for is some information on how the Westchester team is funded, what type of training they do and how they have their equipment layed out over 9 different towns. To me the Task Force idea makes sense. I know New Jersey went to it and it gives you more resources locally.

Any information that anyone has would be much appreaciated.

Federal funding was obtained through Rep. Nita Lowey's office under the sponsorship of New Rochelle and Yonkers FDs. The following Depts. are arranged in Squads: Mt. Vernon, Eastchester, Scarsdale, White Plains, Fairview, Greenville and Hartsdale. Training was given in Confined Space Rescue, Haz-Mat, Trench Rescue and Buildiing Collapse. Trailers are located in various Depts. Sqaud 6 (Fairview, Greenville and Hartsdale) has a Haz-Mat trailer in Fairview and a Technical Rescue trailer in Greenville. The Tech Rescue trailer responded to Hawthorne for the tornado.