Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DG795

Rear Mount Tower vs. MidMount Tower

3 posts in this topic

I posed this question previously, but i think it got lost in the brief intermission...Any opinions on RM Towers vs. Midmount Towers? It seems to see that having a rear mount tower would give you more compartment space because the aerial piece is mounted slightly higher. Or maybe a RM can fit into a shorter firehouse where height isnt a concern, any other opinions?

I could be wrong, but placement of the turntable for optimum aerial reach is the deciding factor for me. We just recently did away with our 1971 Maxim Mid-mount and have a 2002 Pierce Rear mount tower. Swinging the "a**-end" to get in a good position is a pain, compared to how easy it was to position the turntable mounted behind the cab. I also hate the bucket over the front - it kills your field of vision. If you aren't looking ahead, you may come to a stop in a crappy spot for setup. Plus - the midmounts I see nowadays like TL57, TL49, L51, and Yonkers' Towers seem to be able to get into tighter areas where wires are all-over.

Just an opinion, not a promotion. :(

MID MOUNT ALL THE WAY BABY :(