Wolff, Arnie 

Cause of Death: Caught or Trapped 

Nature of Death: Burns 

Classification: Career 

Emergency Duty: Yes   

Incident Date: 08/13/2006 

Duty Type: On-Scene Fire 

Incident Time: 12:23 

Activity Type: Advance Hose Lines/Fire Attack (includes Wildland) 

Death Date: 08/13/2006 

Fixed Prop. Use: Residential 

Fire Dept. Info:

Green Bay Fire Department

501 S Washington St

Green Bay , Wisconsin  54301-4218

Chief: Jeff Stauber

Initial Summary:   

Engineer Wolff was a member of a two-person team that was advancing a hose line when the floor collapsed into the basement below.

The firefighter was able to find her way to safety, subsequent search and rescue efforts for Engineer Wolff were unsuccessful.   

Memorial Fund Info: In memory of Engineer Arnie Wolff, C/o Green Bay Fire Department, 501 S. Washington St, Green Bay, Wisconsin 54301-4218 

USFA

FROM WBAY 2 TV:

Green Bay

Governor Doyle Visits Fallen Firefighter's Station

By Emily Matesic

Governor Jim Doyle made an unscheduled stop Tuesday at a Green Bay fire station to offer his condolences to the friends and family of a GBFD firefighter killed in the line of duty.

Arnie Wolff, 55, worked at Station Five on the city's east side. The 17-year veteran of the Green Bay Fire Department died Sunday when the floor collapsed beneath him while fighting a house fire on Edgewood Drive.

The governor was in Green Bay for several events but spent about a half-hour at the fire station. While speaking with firefighters, the governor also let Green Bay's bravest know how sorry the people of Wisconsin are for their loss but how grateful they are for their service.

"I know that all over the State of Wisconsin, people are really thinking and praying for Arnie Wolff's family, just incredibly thankful for the job firefighters do every day," the governor said.

The governor said because of this tragedy he thought it was necessary to meet with the men and women mourning the loss of a brother. The governor spend about a half-hour meeting with individual members of the fire department and spent several minutes talking with Fire Chief Jeff Stauber.

"I just wanted to have a chance to let them know I'm thinking about them. Also, I had a chance to talk to the chief and the others just about what the department is facing."

"I wanted just to make sure that they understood the people of the State of Wisconsin really appreciate that we ask firefighters to do things that we don't ask anyone else to do. We ask them to go into very dangerous situations to protect us, and tragedy like this just really brings home how much we owe these people."

At Station 5, the flag was lowered to half-staff. The governor said he issued an order that flags across the state do the same when Wolff is laid to rest on Friday. He's having his staff arrange his schedule so he can attend Friday's memorial service.

A memorial at Station 5 started by fellow firefighters continued to grow Tuesday. Other firefighters and community members stopped by to lay flowers, balloons, and written notes.

[attachmentid=1147]

[attachmentid=1148]

credit: H.Marc Larson/Press-Gazette

post-839-1156125482.jpg

post-839-1156125500.jpg

[attachmentid=1149]

[attachmentid=1150]

credit: H.Marc Larson/Press-Gazette

post-839-1156125595.jpg

post-839-1156125603.jpg