Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DMA327

LODD: Fiirefighter Vincent Neglia North Hudson FD

7 posts in this topic

Haven't heard any details but appararently a firemen has been killed and another severely burned while performing a search. Prayers are with the family of both firefighters families friends and collegues

Another sad day in the NY metro area 1st responder community.

Rest in peace brother.

My prayers are with the family, friends and the departments that are effected.

Nate DeMarse

When you weep for me

Brother when you weep for me

Remember it was meant to be

Lay me down and when you leave

Remember I'll be at your sleeve

In every dark and choking hall

I'll be there as you slowly crawl

On every roof in driving snow

I'll hold your coat and you will know

In cellars hot with searing heat

At windows where a gate you'll meet

In closets where young children hide

You know I'll be there at your side

The house from which I now respond

Is overstaffed with heroes gone

Men who answered one last bell

Did the job and did it well

As firefighters we understand

That death's a card dealt in our hand

A card we hope we never play

But one we hold there anyway

That card is something that we ignore

As we crawl across a weakened floor

For we know that we are the only prayer

For any one who might be there

So remember as you wipe your tears

The joy I knew throughout the years

As I did the job I loved to do

I pray this thought will see you through.

-Unknown

Arrangements as follows:

Viewing

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

2pm - 8pm on a continuous basis

Our Lady of Fatima RC

8016 Kennedy Boulevard (Between 81st and 82nd Streets)

North Bergen, NJ 07047

Note: No parking in or around the area of the church. Parking provided at Hudson County Braddock Park 79th or 91st Streets at Bergenline Avenue, 4 blocks east of the church. Local police will advise you-please cooperate. Bus transportation will be available or you may walk.

Funeral

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Assemble at 10am for the 11am funeral mass

Our Lady of Fatima RC

8016 Kennedy Boulevard (Between 81st and 82nd Streets)

North Bergen, NJ 07047

Note: No parking in or around the area of the church. Parking provided at Hudson County Braddock Park 79th or 91st Streets at Bergenline Avenue 4 blocks east of the church local police will advise you. Following the mass an honor procession will cause you to march past the Brother's firehouse Quarters of Engine Co. 13 and then terminating at Braddock Park for the collation.

Absolutely no fire apparatus - please wear the Class A uniform of the day.

I extend my condolences and those of the Pelham Fire Dept., NY, to FF Vincent Neglia's family, friends and all the members of the North Hudson Regional Fire & Rescue Agency (Union City FD, North Bergen FD, West NY FD, Guttenberg FD and Weehawken FD).

May he rest in peace.

Tribute by NYTimes:

September 10, 2006

Firefighter Was Quick to Offer Help to All

By NICHOLAS CONFESSORE

THE NEW YORK TIMES

Vincent Neglia succumbed to flames in a burning apartment building not far from North Bergen, the blue-collar neighborhood where he was born and raised, just across the Hudson River from Manhattan.

But friends and family said the 45-year-old firefighter lived as he died, forgoing his own comfort, in ways large and small, to ensure that of others.

“He wanted to be there first,†said his father, Quirico Neglia, 78. “He wanted to help before anyone else got there. He was always worried about someone else. That was his life.â€

Mr. Neglia and his wife, Marilyn, who now live in Florida, raised “Vinnyâ€â€” as he was invariably known —and his four siblings on an electrician’s salary, building a pool in their backyard because they couldn’t afford trips to the Jersey Shore.

In high school, Firefighter Neglia worked as an emergency medical technician, and later applied for jobs with the Postal Service and the Fire Department. The post office called first, and he sorted letters for a time.

But when the North Bergen Fire Department called a couple of years later, he found his calling.

Over more than two decades of service, he became one of his department’s best and most-respected firefighters, dedicated and hard-charging. He moonlighted as a handyman, but never spoke of retiring from the Fire Department.

“He loved his job,†said Erika Galvez, 27, who works at a massage parlor below Mr. Neglia’s apartment in Lyndhurst, a heavily Italian neighborhood near the Meadowlands Sports Complex. “He said it was the best job he ever had.â€

Mr. Neglia, who was divorced, is survived by a daughter, Nicole, of North Bergen; his parents, of Homosassa, Fla.; a brother, Quirico R. Neglia, of Port Saint Lucie, Fla.; and three sisters, Gerri Neglia, of Farmingdale, N.J., Angela Starling, of West Paterson, N.J., and Nancy Failla, of Rochelle Park, N.J.

He had lived alone during much of the past decade, visiting his parents in Florida whenever he could. He last saw them two months ago, the elder Mr. Neglia said, and they had dinner on a lazy Sunday afternoon, the son teasing the father about loose light switch plates in the house.

“He was a pain,†said Mr. Neglia, fondly and tearfully. “The best. They don’t come any better.â€

Vinny Neglia worked harder than almost anyone else at the firehouse, but he liked to play, too, filling his spare time with an array of hobbies.

Friends said he fished, drove a motorcycle, and flew remote control airplanes and helicopters in the small parking lot next to his building.

But they said he would readily volunteer to help pump out a neighbor’s flooded basement or clean up debris at Little League baseball fields.

He was always ready to help with a car that wouldn’t start or a garbage bag too heavy to carry downstairs alone. His tough countenance masked a warm heart.

“He was very compassionate,†said Cathy Petrone, 49, a bartender who lived in a cottage near Mr. Neglia. When her cat, Perrier, died recently, she said, Mr. Neglia took the remains to a veterinarian and later wrote her a letter of consolation.

“He was so sweet,†she said. “I can’t believe he’s dead. I’m going to start crying now.â€

Prayers and condolences to the family and friends of FF vincent Neglia of the NHRFR. May he rest in peace.