Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCurtis

Whats the best helmet mounted flashlight?

18 posts in this topic

Does anybody have good idea about what to get? There are so many options and I dont know just what to get, I was thinking about a surefire LED light, but they tend to be expensive. Any suggestions? smile.gif

I found the stealthlite by Pelican to be a reliable helmet mounted light. I got the re-chargeable model. I feel Pelican makes a good line of lights and you can't go wrong with them.

You're right, there are a lot of choices out there. I am sure you will get someone saying the Garrity lite strapped to the helmet is as good as anything else. Many have used it and still do.

Helmet light? Id Go with the Garrity light.

cheap and disposable...garrity. If it melts, gets stolen, or gets lost you don't care.

bright, penetrating, and long lasting...pelican or stream light LED. $20 - $40 and pelican gives lifetime guarentees on everything but the batteries on their LED lights.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to go with the streamlight, seems like a good light for a good price. Yeah, the good ol Garrity light just doest cut it for me, its cheep and disposable, but its cheep and doesnt provide the amount of light that other lights do. Thanks Again smile.gif

I find that all flashlights for helmets suck. Those who have been into a fire know what I'm talking about- in most cases, you're gonna see what you're gonna see- flashlight or not. It's not about the toy, it's about the skill.

I actually use a headlight from a bicycle.. Take the two screws out of the side of the helmet and mount it with an L bracket.. Works well for me

I find that all flashlights for helmets suck. Those who have been into a fire know what I'm talking about- in most cases, you're gonna see what you're gonna see- flashlight or not. It's not about the toy, it's about the skill.

Even if you cant see in a fire with a helmet mounted flashlight, you still need to see in the dark in the direction that your head is facing

A flashlight mounted on your coat or on a strap does not allow you to see in the direction in which you need to see

That is why in my opinion, you could need a helmet mounted flashlight

How about mounting a road flare to the top of your helmet?

Advantages:

-Easily recognizable

-360 degree visability

-No worries about batteries. Going dim? Light another one.

-Talk about safety while working those highway jobs!

No, really, I'm not going to patent this one. It's MY contribution to the effort.

yea, I think helmet lights are ok, I dont have one though, but if your going to get a flashlight get the survivor light!! i dont know how the new LED ones work, but I know the original work! you sort of have to move your body around if you want to look from side to side.... but if your only going to get one flashlight, get that one first

Open the wallet take out $3.95 and buy a Garrity in a harware store. Just think, you could buy 20 of these things before you buy some fancy streamlight. Do you know how long it will take you to buy 20 of them? A while!

I would not put any flashlight mount on my helmet. It is just something else hanging off that could get entangled at any time.

the only problem with a garrity light is that for a light that can break very easily when you drop it, its not worth spending $4 for a flashlight so easy to break

you dont need to spend $25 on LED strwamlight but maybe 10 for small high powered flashlight that wont break so easy

There's been plenty of times where my little helmet light actually comes in handy. Two examples I remember off the top of my head include an MVA where I had to climb into the car and hold a patient and the other time was when I had to check out a dryer vent hose in a tight residential laundry room.

I think we should all carry at least two lights - one smaller and one bigger, such as a helmet light and a Survivor-like light. We issue Survivor lights to all our structural members now, and all of our apparatus has Vulcan lights.

I do agree that the Garrity doesn't throw a ton of light, but there is a time and a place for it. For the record. my Grandma did buy those, I used them to make shadow puppets. laugh.gif

I like having the stealthlight from streamlight on my helmet. It's a little bulkier than the garrity light but a lot brighter. It has come in handy with doing overhaul. now at least I can see up at the ceiling at what I'm doing. It also helps when you need to pop a door at night. the light is always pointed to where I'm looking so i can get a better picture of where to place the tool. Not everyone likes a light on their helmet, so don't knock the guys that do. it all comes down to personal preferance. rolleyes.gif

garrity flashlights work for me.