Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firefighter57

Antenna splitters and filters

4 posts in this topic

ok, 2 questions. first, does anyone use a splitter for an antenna to 2 different scanners? If so, how much does it cut down on reception? I just put one in and it seems to be the same as before but its hard to tell because i just put it in.

secondly, what does a filter do? i tryed to figure it out but cant.

Connecting multiple scanners should not deminish the reception much really... You should be able to T off a line or use splitters similar to TV Coax splitters and feed multiple scanners with very little interference. The problems only come if you start transmitting on an antenna... In this case, using a splitter would completly screw up the SWR of the line and affect the transmission capacity.

As for filters, there are tons of them. The basics are usually refered to as High-Pass, Bandpass or Low-Pass filter. A low-pass filter cuts high frequencies and a high-pass filter cuts low frequencies. A bandpass filter filter cuts everything but a specified range.

ok, 2 questions.  first, does anyone use a splitter for an antenna to 2 different scanners?  If so, how much does it cut down on reception?  I just put one in and it seems to be the same as before but its hard to tell because i just put it in.

secondly, what does a filter do? i tryed to figure it out but cant.

Do yourself a favor, though...use splitters specifically designed for the ranges you are looking to receive. Don't use the Radio Shack UHF TV junk...invest the $ and order from somebody who has the good stuff. Using a pre-amp with splitters isn't a terrible idea, depending on how close you are and your LOS in relation to what you want to listen to.

Two words....low loss cable and connectors