Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

LODD- (2) Ohio State Troopers in MVA 9-28-06

1 post in this topic

OSP car rear-ended by pick-up, burst into flames.

GALLIPOLIS, Ohio -- Funeral arrangements were released on Friday for the two Ohio State Highway Patrol officers who were killed in a crash.

Sgt. Dale R. Holcomb, 45, and Trooper Joshua P. Risner, 29, died Thursday morning when their vehicle collided with a pickup, NBC 4 reported.

The driver of the pickup, Lori Smith, 32, of Vinton, Ohio, also died.

Authorities said both vehicles were charred and mangled after the crash that took place north of Gallipolis. The cruiser was damaged in the rear and the pickup was wrecked in the front, NBC 4 reported.

Risner's funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday at Oak Hill High School, located at 5063 state Route 93 in Oak Hill, Ohio.

Holcomb's funeral will take place Sunday at 2 p.m. at the University of Rio Grande's Lynne Center, located at 214 North College Ave. in Rio Grande, Ohio.

As a tribute to Holcomb, members of Cheshire River Valley's high school football team will wear Ohio State Highway Patrol Flying Wheel stickers on their helmets during Friday night's game.

The patrol is investigating whether the officers were on a call when the crash occurred.

"I went down to the crash site because I couldn't get a hold of my mom," said Smith's son, Michael Saunders. "I wanted to make sure it wasn't her. I got pretty up close and saw the truck and knew it was her and I just broke down right there."

Smith's children said they want people to know their mother was a kind woman.

Holcomb left behind a wife and two teenage sons. Risner is survived by a wife and two young children, NBC 4 reported.