Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Engine Co

Open House Demonstrations

1 post in this topic

while traveling this past weekend I had the opportunity to visit a fire department that will remain nameless. This department conducted a hands on Extrication demonstration. There were a few things that stood out to me that I wanted every one here to possibly consider for safety of ourselves and of our citizens that may be viewing the demo. This department set up cones to keep people back, which was maybe only 10-15feet back at most. During the demo a piece metal from the car went flying into the crowd 1 foot to my left which hit their rescue truck. the irony is that not more then one minute ago my friend was standing right there and probably would have gotten hit and also has it be a little lower if would have hit several young children watching the demo. Lastly this department lacked the protection of a stretched charged hose line to protect the Firefighters working and citizens watching.

I thought that this goes very well with the video of the firefighter going into that small shed type building that was nearly fully involved and wear burned while putting on a demo for the citizens and several young children.

The bottom line here is to be careful and think out all the consequences of our actions and protect the public

Edited by Engine Co