Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10-Buff-4

Vintage and Former Rescues?

8 posts in this topic

Hello All. I'm new to the board but have enjoyed this site for a while. My question is if anybody knows of any old rescues still floating around the county or has any photos of them.

I know of Ossining's old Ford that served as Rescue 14, the former North Tarrytown Rescue 12 that was a GMC, the Peterbilt? that served Eastchester. Any other good ones/interesting ones? Thanks.

-DA BUFF

Hello All. I'm new to the board but have enjoyed this site for a while. My question is if anybody knows of any old rescues still floating around the county or has any photos of them.

I know of Ossining's old Ford that served as Rescue 14, the former North Tarrytown Rescue 12 that was a GMC, the Peterbilt? that served Eastchester. Any other good ones/interesting ones? Thanks.

-DA BUFF

Welcome to the board!

I think the old North Tarrytown FD Rescue 12 was converted to a DPW service truck for the Village of Sleepy Hollow.

How "vintage" are you talking? There are a few holdovers from the early 80s here in Rockland, although I'm not sure they're really considered vintage. Old and tired, maybe laugh.gif.

Now, what might be a little interesting is that our 1984 E-One/GMC rescue is the only E-One in Rockland, and to my knowledge the only E-One ever in the entire history of our county. The replacement Pierce is due to be delivered very soon though, and the E-One will be retired in the near future.

-DA BUFF

I am curious where the old Ford Rescue 14 ended up. My dad was cheif driver for a while. well as other ranks - just would like to see / know.......

Thanks for any help ( or pics)

Jimmy Hoyt

-DA BUFF

Let me know what you find out - just and old Rescue 14 brat trying to keep up! I'm really interested in the history of these rigs. I know there's another one out there somplace......

Thanks!

Jimmy

the rig that served eastchester was not a peterbuilt but was a 1974 brockway 361 that was powered by a 6-71n that ran as rescue 5. In Port Chester we ran patrol 4 which was a heavy rescue and one of the first hurst tools in use in westchester county. at one time in the 70's it was the buisest vol rescue around. rescue 40 which replaced the 1969 internatonal/gm/gerstenslager had some big shoes to fill. sadlly patrol 4 was cut up to make a bar in a firehouse in rockland county

That's her!!!

If my memory serves me, when that unit was replaced in 1993 it went to some museum in Maryland. I think it was a firefighter's museum.

Great rig! It was refurbished in the 1980's - I think in 1984-85?? I will confirm this.