Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Fire chief, 3 volunteers charged with arson

7 posts in this topic

TIPTONVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- The city's fire chief and three volunteer firefighters, including the chief's grandson, appeared in court Tuesday on arson charges stemming from a string of fires over the past two years.

The men, all members of Tiptonville Volunteer Fire Department, were arrested Monday.

All four were in the Lake County jail Tuesday afternoon after a judge set bond at $100,000 for Fire Chief James Blackburn and $25,000 or more each for the others.

Police Chief Norman Rhodes said the investigation had been going on for about two years.

"We've been pretty sure who it was for about the last year," Rhodes said. He didn't give a motive for the arsons beyond saying the suspects had formed a clique.

All the buildings were vacant when they were set on blaze and no one was hurt.

Blackburn, who is also superintendent of the city water plant, was charged with 10 counts of arson. His grandson, Brandon Blackburn, faces two counts of arson; firefighter Floyd Joe Kilburn was charged with four counts; and firefighter Chris Burrus was charged with two counts.

Rhodes said he called on the state for help with the arson investigation, and James Blackburn, as fire chief, knew about the probe.

"He was actually giving me static about calling in bomb and arson investigators -- said that was his job," Rhodes said.

Police said the men are suspected of setting several fires since 2004. Among the buildings burned was an abandoned Victorian-style house.

"There have been quite a few people who have been upset because this has been going on. They haven't been able to sleep at night," state bomb and arson investigator Ron Powers said.

Tiptonville, 90 miles northeast of Memphis, has about 2,400 residents.

any motives? trying to get more funding for the department possibly. good thing no one was hurt

Whatever the reasons, just another black eye for the fire service.

Whatever the reasons, just another black eye for the fire service.

How true, this disgusts me. I couldn't beleivie this when I read the paper this morning at work. mad.gif

How true, this disgusts me.  I couldn't beleivie this when I read the paper this morning at work. mad.gif

We have to be watchful of the behavior of our brothers sometimes. You get a guy who keeps showing up first due for all the burning vacants, but can barely make last rig for everything else you've gotta ask why. Nearly half of all arsonist are or were firefighters.

We have to be watchful of the behavior of our brothers sometimes.  You get a guy who keeps showing up first due for all the burning vacants, but can barely make last rig for everything else you've gotta ask why.  Nearly half of all arsonist are or were firefighters.

Absolutely. Sadly, my dept has had first had experience with this. sad.gif

that makes the fire service look bad I wonder why firefighters would get involved in this type of activity