Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY Tower Ladder 53- An Oddball?

10 posts in this topic

Is this rig still in front line service today? and do they like it more then their previous seagrave?

Yes the rig is still in service...the 2000 Seagrave that 53 Truck had went to 45 Truck to replace the 94 FWD/Baker single jack piece of junk that they had. 45 should be getting a new 06 Seagrave any day now. Hopefully the 2000 City Island rig goes into the spare tower ladder fleet that is DESPARATELY in need of rigs that work!

Edited by FDNY99

Disregard my last, I need to be more attentive when reading.

Edited by JBE

Speaking of the single jacks, what was the theory behind that? Seemed to me it would make the rig less stable, not more.

Jim

The forward jacks don't add much in the way of stability. The tormentors (outriggers in the middle) give it the side to side stability. The jacks just take the weight of the truck off the suspension.

However, they couldn't have been too good because they didn't last long!!

I like the Aerialscope on a Spartan chassis

the FDNY accepted a used ladder?????

Why did they transfer the 2000 seagrave to 43 and not just have 43s rig replaced

The forward jacks don't add much in the way of stability.  The tormentors (outriggers in the middle) give it the side to side stability.  The jacks just take the weight of the truck off the suspension.

However, they couldn't have been too good because they didn't last long!!

The reason they didn't last wasn't because of the single jack...it was due to a multitude of reasons. Most of which related to the split tilt cab. The one thing about those single front jack tower ladders...they are VERY easy to get into a crowded tight block...unlike the standard 2 front jack rigs.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I believe the new Seagraves will replace the last of the FWD's if I did my math right. Any word on if there will be a second towerladder added to the reserve fleet?

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I believe the new Seagraves will replace the last of the FWD's if I did my math right. Any word on if there will be a second towerladder added to the reserve fleet?

I like the Aerialscope on a Spartan chassis

the FDNY accepted a used ladder?????

Why did they transfer the 2000 seagrave to 43 and not just have 43s rig replaced

I believe this was covered earlier. 53 got a new Seagrave Tower Ladder that was sent to 45(who needed a new rig). 53 got the Spartan because it is one of the slowest houses in the city and there would be less chance of it breaking down or falling apart from the tough use FDNY is known for.

Very interesting...Cause my wife and I took our daughter out to City Island just after Thanksgiving on one of those warm days to just spend some time and we ran into this Truck. I thought it looked different, even my wife who knows nothing about it asked if it was a real nyc fire truck...Never did the research, but now I know the whole story. I think it looks pretty cool, old school meets new school.