Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert benz

Reminder--- Today is the start of NO 10-codes

7 posts in this topic

There's no confusion???

Do you have any idea how often someone will call "10-19" when they're actually responding?

Do you know what a 10-26 is?

If a Putnam unit is coming in to Westchester on Mutual Aid and we ask them for their "10-29" do you think they'll know what we mean?

I've had jobs where it was protocol to use 10-codes and you know what?  If I didn't use them and I said exactly what it was I meant - nobody died or got fired from it! 

As for bad timing - it really is something that I remember being discussed in the early 90's.  When taking an ICS class I recall our instuctor telling us how California strayed away from 10-codes during large-scale incidents because it cut down on the confusion.  For all of us to have to wait upon FEMA and all of it's infinite wisdom to wait for a couple of major disasters to finally promote it is dumb on our own part - we should have the common sense to know if the caca hits the fan we should all just say what we mean to cutdown on the inevitable confusion that always ensues.  Especially when you have FD and PD working together - rarely do we have the same codes and often times one will give the other a transmission, only to have the receptor come back with "Can you repeat that?"

I don't think this is a major problem - I think it's a common sense thing.  Like Res6cue said - it's for inter-agency / multi-jurisdictional events, so feel free to "buff it up" all you want - just remember that the person on the other end of that radio may ask you to repeat yourself a dozen times until you actually say what you mean!

Over and out.  (10-8 / 10-2??)  rolleyes.gif

I know it is a little thing, but when i hear a dispatcher say"proceed with caution" what the hell were we doing before that? those words to a lawyer are money in the bank, thats why we went to 10-20 in new ro. I would think a change in that term will help, we all know what is meant by it.

to say non-emergency response is a lot clearer then respond with caution, that term will come back to bite us.

I find it amazing that the county couldnt just enforce all depts to use one 10-code.

now radio traffice will go up and important messages might get stepped on. And all you need is one IC that likes to hear himself, some will drain a battery in no time.

10's were very pratical and knowing how to use them wasnt that hard.

I bet we go back to 10's sometime in the future.

now radio traffice will go up and important messages might get stepped on. And all you need is one IC that likes to hear himself, some will drain a battery in no time.

That's perfect - once they run their battery down they're off the air!!! cool.gif

now radio traffice will go up and important messages might get stepped on.

And this wasn't occurring when 10 codes were being used?

There is no noticable difference in radio traffic. We only used a handful at best of the 10 codes as it was. The difference between saying "10-17" and "responding" is minimal. Every thing else, arrival reports, call dispostions were all plain english anyway.

in s.c. we are stop useing 10 codes 1y ago but u will still here them.

i had a hard time being from ny useing there 10 codes i was useing 60 controls

so i like the new way

I think plain english will work out fine. As long as it's plain english and not slang your using. Stick to the basics. Think before you key the mic and remind yourself we are not in NYC. Remember if you ask for a bus, you may get one!!!!!!!!

2163 to 60 control can you start out a bus to this location. Would that be a beeline chief? No better make it a greyhound. biggrin.gif I thought it was funny... cool.gif

Edited by HFD750