Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fixed Class B Foam Extinguishing Systems

9 posts in this topic

I have to make a Powerepoint presentation for school on the topic named above. However I am having a hard time finding factual information on it. If anyone has any sort of information on this topic or knows where I could find some could you please let me know.

Thanks

You can give this a try: www.amerex-fire.com

Amerex Fire Extinguisher website. They have a lot of information.

I would give them a call. If you dont see what you are looking for I am

sure they will answer questions or send you some stuff.

They were more than helpful when I contacted them a few months ago

on a training issue.

Rob

Are you looking for info on specific types of Class B foams? Or on Class B foam delivery systems?

I'm looking for information the delivery sytems for extinguishment systems that use Class B Foam. The systems have to be fixed they can't be an ABC Extinguisher you might pull off of one of your trucks for example. Thanks for all the help.

Just off the top of my head I know the Navy has fixed systems in the hanger decks and flight decks on aircraft carriers. One of the first was installed due to the USS Forrestal accident that nearly killed Sen. John McCain. When his A-4 was struck by a rocket that fired off a F-4 while both were sitting on deck due to an electrical surge. The explosion killed nearly all the speciality trained firefighters on the carrier and the resulting problems had the navy take action.

http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=30720

http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=30719

http://www.haifire.com/publications/scheffey.pdf

Other then that are you referring to like ansul hoods or wet agent extinguishing systems for commercial kitchens?

I understand partly what you are saying, but a few of us are looking for express details in what you need assistance with. If you are writing a paper...trying to write one on fixed class B foam systems is too broad your better picking one type and go for the gusto.

ALS and RWC130 thanks for the help and yes I realize it is a very broad topic. Unfortunately that is the topic I was assigned to make a presentation on for school. I wish I could give you guys more precise details but unfortunately I cannot. I have had a hard time finding information because the topic is so broad so that is why I am looking for any information that you might have on the topic. Hope that helps.

If you would like to discuss the fixed hood ansul systems I used to install and service them for about six years. I worked with the Range Gaurd models and serviced all types of them; Pyro-Chem, Ansul, Kidde, Pro-tex, Amerex....just about all of them.

If you go to their web-sites you can get service manuals and advice about them. Hopefully that will help some with your paper. If you need more send me a message and I will help any way I can.

Good Luck Brother. biggrin.gif

Before I switched units I did Inspections and testing on the Rangehood UL-300 Wet Chemical Systems, I can give you FDNY requirements that we use very day.

Chris

FDNY Inspector

Rangehood Unit 2002-2005

Suppression Unit: 2005 till present day

I hear you. Just remember that the ANSUL systems are powder. Not foam. And the chemical is Class K. If your topic specifically says Fixed Class B foam systems, then you are actually gonna be limited. Go to your professor and ask for more guidance. There is nothing wrong with that and I"ve done it many of times to ensure I was on the right path. Its your grade. That way you will know what area he/she is looking for.

There are some other places where there are fixed extinguishing systems, you would have to check to see if they are foam however.

Cargo holds in planes.

Aircraft engine fire suppression systems.

One cool topic you could do that I forgot to mention is the new "FSS" in Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor models. It is not standard however, most new NYS Trooper cars are installed with them. It is a foam system designed to activate with any rear collision and fire. There is a video on Ford's website about the interceptor model It also has a manual override that can be hit if need be.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/CVPI/30...mon/default.htm

Edited by alsfirefighter