Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimesUp

1 post in this topic

I have two examples of why there could be some bad feelings. Both have to do with the length ESU might go to in order not to call the FD and try to handle themselves. The first is an MVA with one person pinned. A car was T-boned on the passenger side. The driverside was pushed up against a wall. With EMS on scene along with ESU it became clear to the Medic on scene that the FD was needed to open the passenger side door to remove the driver. ESU offered a different approach. Their idea was to call a tow truck to the scene and pull the car (with the driver in it) off the wall. The medic on scene thought that was crazy and saw to it that the FD was called.

The next is less complexed and is a very minor type of call I'll go on daily. "Wires Down"

Like we'll all do first I.D. what is down. Electric,phone etc etc. This turned out to be cable wires hanging low in the street, about 7' off the ground. For this I would just go to the side of the house were the wires attach to the second floor off the house. Pull some of the slack out of the low hanging wires and then tie it off on a gutter or something. Until the cable co. can come by for a more permanant fix.

Here's what I see. A ESU truck on scene with on officer on the roof of the truck holding the wire off the truck while the driver drives under it. Then the truck turns up the driveway with the officer on the roof until the truck is along side the house. With the officer pulling the slack out and holding it I see him wondering were he's gonna tie it off. Next comes one officer throwing the other a roll of tape. With the wires in one hand he manages to bite off a good size peice and tape it to the ashphalt roof. Q. Did the tape stick to the roof,holding the wire?

Edited by ltrob