Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

To The Youth: Tap The Knowledge

5 posts in this topic

I'd like to take a moment to reach out to the youth of this forum.

THE biggest complaint I recieve about this forum is about our younger members, the teenage crowd, who speak beyond their knowledge or place.

Please don't get me wrong, we weclome EVERYONE to this forum, and I'm in no way discouraging anyone to post.

I just want to point out to our younger members that's there's a great deal of members on this forum who have a wide array of knowledge and experience.

Many of these member are people to look up to, and learn from. Instead of posting your reply, take a moment to read the thread, ask questions, and give members with the factual information or information based on experience a chance to answer.

Think about it this way: You've been a career firefighter for 20 years, in a busy city, and come to this forum to share information with those with a common interest. However, you are outspoken and.......outnumbered.....by members that are much younger then you, fresh out of FFI or haven't even taken a class, who speak about your job like they've been doing it forever as well. How would you feel? Wouldn't you be turned off?

I, and I want others to realize this is the internet generation, and this is how many teenagers and young adults communicate. Many are familiar with communicating on the internet, and it's part of our daily lives. Whereas the 20 year vet may not be as familiar with computer, and is still getting used to it. Also, keep an eye on your spelling and grammar- it reflects a great deal on your age and maturity.

These members have an incredible amount of knowledge and experience to share, and I want the younger members of this forum to realzie and respect that.

Encourage their posting by asking questions, soliciting feedback on your experiences, etc. Also, be aware of how your behavior reflects on you. No one is impressed by how much you know, rather they are impressed by how much you WANT to know. Get it?

Thanks for reading that little tidbit, and I hope some members will take this advice. Also, you can now see everyone's rank and affiliation type in their post.

Thanks

-EMTBravo

P.S. I do love all the members of this forum, and appreciate everyone's contributions! smile.gif

Well put, EMTBravo

Good point EMTBravo... Learn from the people who have been doing this job for awhile,the lessons just might save your life one day.There are alot of younger members out there who think they know it all, and when it comes time to pony up with the big boy's, they dont cut it... Good luck

Good point EMTBravo...    Learn from the people who have been doing this job for awhile,the lessons just might save your life one day.There are alot of younger members out there who think they know it all, and when it comes time to pony up with the big boy's, they dont cut it... Good luck

I second that notion... good post EMT Bravo .

Being one of the young members I agree but sometimes find it necessary to add in order to get more information added to a post. We may just touch on a topic and hopefully create a snow-ball effect to let the experience come out and be heard. I think sometimes we all speak over our heads and need to be put back in out place by the experienced guys with their knowldge. We want to learn so please share smile.gif