Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Texanm

Safety---Full time job

3 posts in this topic

We all have seen it, the driver with the cell phone plastered to their ear. But the one i observed this morning on my way to work really stood out as being exceptional.

She was resting her elbow on the center console, so she had to tilt her head at 45 degrees just to get her ear to the cell phone. This position must have cut off the blood flow to her head, as her driving was so erratic as to be frightening. She repeatly crossed the double yellow and then veered over to the rumble strips, leading me to beleive the car was more in control than she was. One second she was 200 ft behind me, but for the most part she was tailgating so close i could not see most of her hood much less the bumper of the car or the plate.

Not only exceptional as to the total loss of control, but the foot long strip of LED's on her dash told me she was part of our community. One of us. How can some one who safety should be paramount on their minds at all times display one of the worst cases of distracted driving i have ever seen? Are we not trained Safety first/scene safety/every one goes home?

Maybe since she was not "on-duty" she figured it did not matter. Maybe she drove like that so she would not have to turn on her lights, i know i dang sure wanted to get out of her way. Maybe...dosent cut it.

Point of all my rambleing is folks, we are the ones drilled and trained in safety. Practice safety all the time so its not one of our brothers/sisters that we are responding to.

We all have seen it, the driver with the cell phone plastered to their ear. But the one i observed this morning on my way to work really stood out as being exceptional.

She was resting her elbow on the center console, so she had to tilt her head at 45 degrees just to get her ear to the cell phone. This position must have cut off the blood flow to her head, as her driving was so erratic as to be frightening. She repeatly crossed the double yellow and then veered over to the rumble strips, leading me to beleive the car was more in control than she was. One second she was 200 ft behind me, but for the most part she was tailgating so close i could not see most of her hood much less the bumper of the car or the plate.

Not only exceptional as to the total loss of control, but the foot long strip of LED's on her dash told me she was part of our community. One of us. How can some one who safety should be paramount on their minds at all times display one of the worst cases of distracted driving i have ever seen? Are we not trained Safety first/scene safety/every one goes home?

Maybe since she was not "on-duty" she figured it did not matter. Maybe she drove like that so she would not have to turn on her lights, i know i dang sure wanted to get out of her way. Maybe...dosent cut it.

Point of all my rambleing is folks, we are the ones drilled and trained in safety.  Practice safety all the time so its not one of our brothers/sisters that we are responding to.

Beside that, I thought there was a State Law against such foolishness!

Sure is, but its more of a common sense law to me.

Dont get me wrong, i have answered the cell while driving, and have seen how easy it is to get distracted, but never have i seen it as bad as what i witnessed.

Reminds me of what i read somewhere, where a automaker from europe was first importing cars to the US and was asked to put cupholders in the cars. They wanted to know why do you need cupholders, the occupant are supposed to be driving.

I posted it here on this forum, not just to rant and rave, but since she was "one of ours" hopefully she whould see it here and consider.