Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest rreimund

300 die in Paraguay Supermarket Fire

2 posts in this topic

From CNN.com

Monday, August 2, 2004 Posted: 1:17 PM EDT (1717 GMT)

ASUNCION, Paraguay (CNN) -- A fire that raged through a supermarket crowded with weekend shoppers in Paraguay's capital Asuncion killed more than 300 people, Interior Ministry officials said.

Authorities have identified 246 bodies, and they estimate that another 80 have yet to be identified. Also, 106 people were injured, and 15 of them are in critical condition from severe burns and asphyxia, ministry officials told CNN.

The fire, followed by two explosions, broke out around noon (1600 GMT) Sunday in the first floor of the three-story building and blazed for seven hours before firefighters were able to put it out.

Some witnesses said victims were not able to escape the flames because the exits had been locked, possibly to avoid robberies, a claim denied by Juan Pio Paiva, the supermarket's owner.

Preliminary investigations focused on a possible short circuit and an accidental fire, officials said.

Nevertheless, Paiva said the fire could have been set intentionally.

President Nicanor Duarte Frutos asked the private sector to help the state's overwhelmed public health system.

Among the fatalities were numerous children, who had been accompanying their parents for their weekend shopping or eating in the commercial complex's restaurant.

In addition to the market and restaurant, the building included offices and an underground parking garage.

Hundreds of people were inside the store when the explosions occurred, witnesses said.

Television footage showed several levels of the multi-level supermarket covered in soot, including the lower level parking garage.

Public Health Minister Julio Cesar Velazquez told reporters, "I have never seen a disaster like this. The firefighters were taking out, as best as they could, the bodies, the injured and people suffering from smoke inhalation. It's horrible."

The fire -- followed by two explosions -- broke out around noon Sunday local time, and raged for seven hours before firefighters were able to put it out.

Some witnesses said victims were not able to escape the flames because the exits had been locked, possibly to avoid robberies, a claim denied by Juan Pio Paiva, the supermarket's owner.

The fire began on the first floor of the building and -- in addition to causing the fatalities -- left hundreds of people with severe burns and asphyxia.

Paraguyan President Nicanor Duarte Frutos, who visited the fire site, has asked the private sector to help the state's overwhelmed public health system.

"This is a moment of great anguish," Duarte said. according to The Associated Press.

"I've come here to provide support to the injured and the families of the deceased," he said.

Badly burned bodies could be seen as they were taken away after the fire in a scene of confusion as firefighters scrambled through smoking, charred debris.

Among the fatalities were numerous children, who had been accompanying their parents for their weekend shopping or eating in the commercial complex's restaurant.

Victim's bodies were laid out on pavement in front of a discotheque next to the three-story downtown building.

In addition to the market and restaurant, the building included offices and an underground parking garage.

Hundreds of people were inside the store when the explosions occurred, witnesses said.

Television footage showed several levels of the multi-level supermarket covered in soot, including the lower level parking garage.

Public Health Minister Julio Cesar Velazquez told reporters, "I have never seen a disaster like this. The firefighters were taking out, as best as they could, the bodies, the injured and people suffering from smoke inhalation. It's horrible."

Journalist Sanie Lopez Garelli contributed to this report.

This is aweful. I'm sure that there's lots we can learn from it (i.e. the fire service as a whole)..

Is there any more data/pictures/specifics anywhere else?

To answer my own question...

Firehouse.com had a little write up on it.. both stories are from the Associated Press.. but the firehouse.com article had more detail. It seems that the front, main door was locked by those entering or exiting the building. Looks suspicious.. there's also mention of an exploding gas cannister in the food court, sounds like arson to me, and it sounds like they may have put a chain around the front door to keep people from escaping.. :(