Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Call to all Medics - Need Your Input For a Project

4 posts in this topic

This is to all the Medics on this board. I'm currently doing a term paper on the use of Epinephrine combined with Vasopressin during treatment of patients in asystole. I have done a substantial amount of research and found that according to a number of studies the use of Epinephrine combined with the administration of Vasopressin results in an increased chance of regaining a spontaneous pulse. Part of the paper is an open discussion of what currently practicing field Medics have to say about the use of Vasopressin and its relative success or failure compared to continuous epinephrine administration. So if anyone has any specific opinions or first hand accounts they would like to share with me, i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by 66Alpha1

I miss Isuprel which could give a cheeseburger a pulse.

I've used it twice. Both patients did not have ROSC....so I can't relate any success. Both were elderly, with 10+ minute down times. Anecdotally, I don't know of anyone that has stated that it made a difference.

I've used it a few times... routine jobs no ROSC. According to the Westchester Protocols we have to resume epi after 5-10 minutes if there isn't an acceptable result from the vasopressin [i suppose that means they jump up off the stretcher and do a little jig?]

The numbers suggest that it gives better outcomes, BUT if they don't put it in a prefilled syringe chances are we're less likely to go for it first when we reach into the drug box.