Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

NON-LODD Gettysburg, PA

2 posts in this topic

Although not in the NY Metro Area.... Don Gantz Vice President of the Gettysburg Fire Department and Past Chief of the Barlow Fire Department just south of Harrisburg, PA passed away at 0409 this AM after suffering a massive heart attack earlier this week. Don was in great shape ant it was certainly a big shock.

Don was a dear friend of mine and will be missed terribly in Southern Pennsylvania.

Although he has been a fireman for almost 40 years, he never got bogged down in the "that's the way we've always done it" attitude. He was very progressive, yet when he never lost his basic firefighting roots. He also welcomed new college students to the department and worked very hard to help increase our skill set when other folks hated us because we were outsiders only there for a 4 year tour.

Don taught me more in 4 years than I could have ever expected. He is one of the folks that prepared me to be an officer when I returned to Millwood from College.

Don also helped me to research and eventually complete the restoration of Millwood's 1924 Brockway Torpedo in Gettysburg as well as brokered my purchase of Gettysburg's old 1957 Mack B Model from the department 2 years ago.

He was one of those rare folks that every member from every department in the county knew, respected, and turned to for advice.

Rest In Peace brother. You helped a lot of people along the way.

http://gettysburgfd.com/

Edited by mfc2257

I had met Don in the past and heard nothing bad about him. Even though I was born & raised in Hastings, my father's family is all from the Gettysburg area and are still there.

I grew up going there adn when I was young my Grandfather was a social member of the department A lot of my family are members in Emmitsburg Md. who often work M/A with Gettysburg.

RIP and condolences from the Shryock family.