Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
res6cue

Rockland County DPW stuff

2 posts in this topic

Seth's thread about a new DPW truck reminds me of an article I saw a while back regarding the Rockland County Highway Dept's new Oshkosh plow trucks. Something about how they designed a pretty unique system for the salt delivery, how it's offset towards the middle of the road? I can't remember now, maybe someone knows what I'm talking about? I'm not really into DPW trucks so I have no clue.

On a different note, I once read somewhere that the Town of Ramapo operates the largest fleet of FWD DPW trucks in the country? I found that suspect, but who knows.

And for a bonus...here's a shot of Columbian Engine, Spring Valley's old 1979 Hahn engine "17-1001" as it was in service, and after the Spring Valley DPW got done converting her into a salter/sander!! ohmy.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Ah, now I remember where I saw the thing about Ramapo's fleet, on this site: http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/mark_simiele.htm

The Ramapo New York Highway Department operated the largest fleet of FWD trucks in the USA for years and still does as of 2005. This early 1980's RB44 is one of 25 plus FWD trucks.

I still can't find the thing about Rockland's new plows, but I think I saw it on the Journal News website. Here are some photos from their site (middle of the gallery, just look for the orange), so maybe that had something to do with what I saw.

http://jukebox.lohud.com/photos/index.php?...DNER&offset=180

user posted image

John Monroe of the Rockland County Highway Department attaches a department sticker to the county's new snow plow/salt spreader Oct. 16, 2006 in New City. The new truck has a plastic plow, a stainless steel hopper, and a more efficient method of spreading sodium chloride. It carries more than twice the amount of sodium chloride solution as the older snowplaows.( Kathy Gardner / The Journal News )

Edited by res6cue