Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Dispatchers Fired in Milford

9 posts in this topic

Dispatchers fired for comments over inmate

Nicholas Brown died of a cocaine overdose

Eyewitness News

(Milford - WABC, December 1, 2006) - Two emergency dispatchers in Milford have been fired for comments they made on a taped 911 call about a sick prison inmate, who died soon afterward.

Officials say the conversation between police dispatcher Steven Gifford and fire dispatcher Teresa Burrows did not delay or affect the care prisoner Nicholas Brown received when he overdosed on cocaine on October 19.

But they say the conversation, in which Gifford described Brown's convulsions as "doing the funky chicken," was inappropriate and violated city standards.

"Their demeanor during a call for medical assistance was unprofessional, insensitive and reflected poorly on their departments and the city," Mayor James Richetelli said. "Clearly, we cannot and will not condone such conduct."

Police say Brown, 24, of Stratford, had been shocked twice with a police stun gun during his arrest. Officers had reported earlier that he had swallowed an undetermined amount of drugs while running from them.

The dispatchers' conversation was released during the department's investigation of Brown's death.

According to a transcript, Gifford called 911 from the police station to request an ambulance when Brown began "hallucinating and shaking all over the place," Gifford reportedly said.

"He's doing the funky chicken right now...I'm looking at him right now in the camera and he, I don't want to be in his shoes," Gifford said.

Burrows responded: "You know he should have double-bagged [the cocaine] or something."

Brown went into cardiac arrest in the ambulance and was pronounced dead at Milford Hospital.

If thats the way it happened, I'm not sure that a lesser form of discipline wouldn't have been more appropriate. Isnt there any progressive discipline system in place, where you are counselled or suspended first , depending on the severity of the infraction?

I'm not condoning their lack of consideration for the sick prisoner, I just think firing them is extreme. By the reports' own admission, their comments did not affect or delay the medical assistance they requested.

While they were unprofessional, I feel that Milford went overboard with the firings.

This serves as an important reminder to anyone who works in an emergency communications center: Everything is recorded! If you want to talk about something personal/unofficial/funny then you should use the Nextel or the un-recorded line in the break room...

see below

Edited by IzzyEng4

Here is the transcript from WTNH 8 TV last night on the news.

Two fired, five suspended after death of man in police custody

Two fired, five suspended after death of man in police custody-story by Alan Cohn

(Milford-WTNH, Dec. 1, 2006, 5:47 PM) _ New developments in the case of two Milford dispatchers fired for the way they handled a 911 call. Five other officers have been suspended and police have released a surveillance video of what happened.

* by News Channel 8's Alan Cohn

Police Chief Keith Mello is clearly disturbed by the actions of his officers. In an effort to get out in front of the story he is releasing the video and every report on the investigation into the incident.

The surveillance video shows 24 year old Nicholas Brown in the minutes leading up to his October 19th death. He is shown talking on his cell phone in the lobby of Milford Police Headquarters after being arrested in the parking lot of a local motel.

Police had tasered him three times to get him under control. What they didn't know was that he swallowed a lethal amount of cocaine before they were able to take him into custody.

Later in a holding cell, surveillance cameras capture Brown taking off his socks and then his shirt. He then gets on and off the bed and begins shaking.

At this point, Police Mello says, an officer who is watching on a monitor makes the first of several inappropriate statements.

"If you want a good laugh look at the guy in M1," said police dispatcher Steven Gifford.

Gifford then called EMS and described Brown as "doing the funky chicken right now."

"It was insensitive. It was inappropriate. And it's not the kind of conduct we want by our police officers or anyone else working here," said Mello. "Mr. Gifford was terminated based on his insensitivity and his unprofessionalism."

Five officers face a one day suspension for not adhering to strict department policies. The officers are required to physically check on those in custody every 15 minutes.

"They are good officers but in this case they violated policy and I think discipline was fair, it was just and it was appropriate," said Mello.

Chief Mello says despite the officers mistakes there was no delay getting Brown medical attention. He died on his way to the hospital.

A fire dispatcher was also fired for making inappropriate comments.

Inappropriate?? Yes. Unprofessional?? Totally. How were the dispatchers discipllinary track records prior to this incident?? If this was the first offense, and they don't have other bad marks, firing may have been a bit much. I guess whoever doles out punishments felt a hit in the wallet wasn't going to cut it.

Edited by JBE

I read in a CT newspaper the other day (forget which one) that the Fire Dispatcher had a history of disciplinary actions against her...

This Milford situation has definitely made me think twice about comments I make while discussing cases on the phone with police officers, firefighters and medics.

Wow, someone does listen to those. lol

585....guess I better watch how I describe some of the colorful things you send me to for now on. lol.

Wow, someone does listen to those. lol

585....guess I better watch how I describe some of the colorful things you send me to for now on. lol.

Hell....I might be better off not going to work anymore..... cool.gif