Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest x901

Yonkers: Infant 10 story fall

17 posts in this topic

Yonkers

1700 (approx) Yonkers ESU & EMS enroute to 100? Riverdale ave for report of child out 10th story window.

1705 ESU os requesting Expidite for EMS bc of massive head trauma

any one else have more A.T.T.??? i will be contacting the medic later but anyone w more please post! 901-K

Yonkers requested Stat Flight from 60 Control with a landing zone at St. Josephs Hospital.

STAT flight was going to land @ YPD HQ but was cancelled by an ER doctor over @ St Joes I think the child was in trauma arrest but not sure

Any YFD Units on scene?

After speaking w the Empress Medic who was os, child had massive head truama. HE canceled the helo. YFD threw a fit bc the bird was canceled which they called for before EMS os. There was never a MD from SJMC requested to the scene. Pt was txp w massive head trauma to SJMC in arrest where efforts were terminated.

I love when firemen try to make EMS decisions!

It's one thing if said firefighter has EMS training....but don't get all pissy when the medic in charge makes a call to go local. Plain and simple: you don't medivac a patient in arrest around here. Upstate where the transport to the nearest hospital by ground is 0.5 hours+, fine. But in Yonkers when you are 5 minutes from the hospital, forget about it.

I make EMS decisions all the time...lol.

This also occurred a couple weeks ago in a high rise apartment in the City of Poughkeepsie. Not to mention numerous other instances in the area, ie Peekskill a year or 2 ago, another in Poughkeepsie a couple years ago, and still no code requiring window guards.

I make EMS decisions all the time...lol.

Exactly my point! :->

I believe the only time a provider on the ground can NOT cancel the chopper is when there is already another helo on the ground.

JUST TO CLEAR UP ALL THIS MESS ABOUT THIS JOB. PD ESU TRUCK 3, WHILE RESPONDING TO A KNIFE FIGHT, WAS FLAGGED DOWN ON THIS JOB 20 SECONDS AFTER THE FALL. UPON ASSESSMENT THE CHILD WAS STILL BREATHING, BUT IN VERY BAD SHAPE WITH MASSIVE TRAUMA TO THE ENTIRE BODY. YPD ESU TRUCK 3 REQUESTED STAT FLIGHT. A SHORT TIME LATER, (SECONDS) TO THE ARRIVAL OF EMPRESS PARAMEDICS AND MEDIC SUPERVISROR THE BABY WENT INTO TRAUMATIC ARREST. THE BABY WAS LOADED INTO THE AMBULANCE AND WORKEDBY TRUCK 3 AND EMPRESS. EMPRESS CANCELED STAT FLIGHT DUE TO THE CONDITION AND PROTOCOL OFTHE CHILD BEING IN TRAUMATIC ARREST. (THERE WAS SOME CONFUSION WITH DISPATCH OR SOMEONE BECAUSE THEY HAD TO BE CANCELLED AGAIN AT ST JOSEPHS ABOUT 7 MINUTES AND THAT WAS GIVEN TO DISPATCH VIA TRUCK 3 AUTHORITY THE EMERGENCY ROOM DOCTOR). PD CLOSED ROADS ALL THE WAY TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. I SAW YFD ENGINE 303 ON SCENE, BUT THIS WAS AFTER MEDICS WERE ON SCENE AND THEY HAD NO INTERACTION WITH THE INCIDENT, THEY WERE STANDING BY IF NEEDED TO ASSIST.

Again why are PD and FD making the decisions ? EMS should my the decision if the HELO is needed. with that type of injury chances are they are going to a local hospital anyway. Alo the time they land that thing from where they were they could be at jacobi already.

I have to agree with the PD's decision to launch the bird in this case. If it was needed, they had it that much closer. If it wasn't needed we can cancel it. No sweat. Sure, going by helo from Yonkers isn't all that common because of many areas proximity to Jacobi and WCMC, but you never know. ANY provider can request the helicopter. And a lot of the ESU and fire guys are at least CFR.

I agree with WAS967, anybody can order a launch of STAT Flight and it CAN be cancelled at any point. It's always good to have it coming that way you will have it either way. What happens if the ambulance crashes on the way, thats extra time!

fac911, I am a firefighter and i have cancelled a helo b/c the emt didn't know what they were doing so it could also be the other way around. So don't be judging firefighters or we'll start judging bandaid pushers!

EMS does not they firefighter's how to put out fires and we sure dont tell PD how to arrest people so let US do OUR job!

Face..lets get something straight. First most of the career depts. staff are EMT's, and most if not ALL of YPD ESU are EMT's. and many vol. FF's are EMT's. Are you some kind of Medical god?...if you work for an ambulance are you the end all be all?....Since I am both where does that put me? though not a huge fan of ESU. They have all the right to call for a copter if they are medically trained which they are. and as said when the medic arrives ON SCENE they can cancel that request since they are NOW the medical authority. Prior, as per NYS protocalls, a CFR or EMT is in charge in progressive order. As for YOU or anyone else making decisions based on dispatch reports ENROUTE to a call, you are way out of line. When you become a Medic who has police training or a medic with firefighting training then you can make a fire or police decision prior to the PD or FD arrival..but since that isn't going to happen and since FD and PD ARE trained as EMT's then they CAN make that decision.

Exactly, just because someone is a firefighter does not mean they don't have any medical background so you sir are way out of your district.

Besides they were landing a helo at a hospital which means they were going to transport the infant to another hospital and that ride might have been a little longer than 5 minutes and especially on busy city streets!