Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DES630

HELP - Need a Good 35mm Camera for a gift

7 posts in this topic

This is for all the photo people here on this site. I need help. My wife wants a nice 35mm camera for Christmas. So I am asking for advise. Which brand, model should I buy. She has a Digital camera already but she likes the old fashion way. Seth I know you have some knowledge in this area.

Thanks to all.

Edited by DES630

Go with Cannon. They are great. I have the power shot A95. I chose the onne with the flipy screen (A95) for reaching over crowds and taking low angle shots and what not.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Canon's are definately good cameras...The Canon Rebel is also a good camera...I got one for class that was reasonably priced as well and I've had no complaints with it.

Personally I'd go with a nikon, for a 35mm camera, they are great, their lenses are better and they are usually well priced.

I have the cannon rebel XT and I love it. It has a manual setting for that "old fashion way",which I like also,comes in handy sometimes,otherwise put it on automatic and your good to go. I had to go and buy the flash and a bigger lens for those nice up close shots. Let me know what you end up deciding,my girlfriends parents own and run a camra shop.

AHHHHH! You've come to the right place!

I'm a hardcore Nikon man myself, so that's my area of expertise.

If she's interested in a top of the line, all electronic, bells & whistles 35mm there's no topping the new NIKON F6... but that'll set you back a couple of G's and is filled with features that virtually nobody will ever use or need.

Next in line is the Nikon F100 which is a supurb compromise between cost and features [i own one, but it's out for repair after I dropped it in a river sad.gif ] This is a favorite of advanced amatures and professionals alike. with a cost of about $1000.00

If she likes all manual stuff Nikon's FM10 or FM3A are both good with the FM10 offering more features, priced around $350.00

If she'd be more interested in something that's kind of a fancy point and shoot then the N75 or F80 [both very similar] are great. I'm shooting now with my N75 until the F100's back and the image quality is still there. These run around $300.00

However, if she already has a DIGITAL SLR you would then be best to get her a film camera which is of the same brand and therefore compatable with any lenses she already owns.

In terms of lenses to get for general 35mm use I HIGHLY RECCOMEND the SIGMA 28mm-135mm f/3.8-5.6 which I use for about 90% of my work and is available for any camera body.

I prefer to do my camera buying from B&H... they're extremely dependable and usaully ship so fast that it's practially at your front door before you log off!

If money's an issue, everybody's selling off their film cameras on e-bay as they switch over to digital, so you might be able to find a great bargain!

Happy Hunting!

First let me Thank everyone for the advise. I bought the Canon Rebel T2 from Best Buy. I also bought the Canon EF 75-300mm zoom lens. Now for the funny part of the story. Best Buy will match others price so with that I found it cheaper on line printed it and brought it with me. Well not realizing it until after I bought every thing I had printed the wrong camera, rolleyes.gif In the end I paid more for the extra lens then I did the Camera. The kid at Best Buy either didn't care or was just dumb. biggrin.gif . Thanks Again