Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mllax14

Folklore In The Fire Service

4 posts in this topic

I figured that this would be the best place to ask for help with this kind of topic.

I writting another paper for school and I need a little help. The topic is Folklore in the Fire Service. The biggest thing I need is sources; alot of the books and internet items i looked at just gave me a definition and no real reasoning behind it.

Just to keep the confusion level down here is a brief definition of folklore.

Folklore- Traditional beiefs, myths, tales, and pratices of people transmitted either orally or through some sort of written document.

some of the stuff I am using- Brotherhood in the fire service, origins of Maltase Cross, origins of SCBA, first fire apparatus, creation of leather helmet, and history of NYC volunteer fire service, etc.

If I confused anyone please just ask and I will try and clarify.

any information would be greatly appreciated.

I figured that this would be the best place to ask for help with this kind of topic.

I writting another paper for school and I need a little help. The topic is Folklore in the Fire Service. The biggest thing I need is sources; alot of the books and internet items i looked at just gave me a definition and no real reasoning behind it.

Just to keep the confusion level down here is a brief definition of folklore.

Folklore- Traditional beiefs, myths, tales, and pratices of people transmitted either orally or through some sort of written document.

some of the stuff I am using- Brotherhood in the fire service, origins of Maltase Cross, origins of SCBA, first fire apparatus, creation of leather helmet, and history of NYC volunteer fire service, etc.

If I confused anyone please just ask and I will try and clarify.

any information would be greatly appreciated.

The origin of the Maltese Cross dates back to the Crusades. When burning oil was used as a weapon the Knights of Malta would use their shields ( shaped as a Maltese cross ) to go in and rescue other knights. Being one of the first firefighters the cross was adopted as our badge.