Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest nickcabral

The Truck Company

8 posts in this topic

I thought it would be fun to see what other Departments do with "The Truck". Being a probie and only assigned to Truck 1 for a short time I have limited knowledge, but continue to learn more and more each day. Our system works like this:

There are four riding positions. Captain, Truck Driver, Vent man, and Irons Man. Typically the Captain and Irons man meet the engine at the door and force entry, ensure the hose team gains access to the fire room, conducts a search and begins overhaul. The vent man takes a hook and performs horizontal vent (where applicable) after the engine crew has water, then returns to the truck and prepares for vertival vent if needed. If vertical vent is the only real vent choice (top floor high rise etc) the vent man begins right with setting up the truck with the driver. The driver will set up the truck and take the turntable while the vent man makes the roof, then once in position he will climb to assist. Thats if everything goes perfect. Nothing says that the driver cant make the roof himself and begin the cut if the vent man is still tied up. I am fortunate enough to have the most senior Captain and most senior Truck driver on my crew, and adapting to diferent situations seems to always work perfectly.

Other functions of the truck include technical rescue, vehicle extrication, elevator emergencies and water rescues.

I have heard of some departments who run 2 man truck companies, and I wonder how that works, and also how Volunteer Fire Departments staff the Truck such as minimum personel before the rig goes enroute, and how the jobs get divided up.

Could I ask a little about tool assignments. Is the Captain going to assist the Irons man on the forcible entry or does an engine guy team up with him for forcible entry. Same question about the can or does the irons man grab the can in addition to his irons tool assignment?

Thanks for an interesting post. I enjoy hearing about truck work and priorities. In your system the OV man has some decisions to make. Some of those decisions are based on type of structure I know. Still he must be able to work and make decisions independantly.

In Stepney, if the truck gets called mutual aid out of town, min staffing is 4 firefighters. All the seats are numbered in order as most important. Ie, driver is seat #1, Officer is seat #2 etc... The positions are just guidelines though. depending on the type of call, the entire truck crew could be on the roof doing a vent if it's a commercial building or the crew could be split up into an interior search team & the vent team. If it's a call in our first due district or anywhere within the town of Monroe, you could wind up having anywhere from 1-6 firefighters/officers on the truck depending on the time of day. I learned thath you have to just prioritize what needs to get done first and usually have enough guys on scene to put to work as the truck co. Just wish we did more drills in truck co ops though. dry.gif

Usually the irons man will take the door himself (I am the irons guy) or the engine officer may assist while the backstepper is flaking out line, bleeding air etc. The Captain does a walk around and enters with the line. For a fire I dont take the can....as irons I stay on the fire floor with the engine for a search and overhaul, they provide my protection. The vent man will come in with the can after vent duties are completed if he needs to, also a third engine may end up conducting a search above the fire in which case they deploy a line or can, again situation dependent. I call him vent man and not OV because more than likely he will end up inside...and may even start inside with the truck driver providing OV. Our first alarm non-confirmed fire brings the truck, 2 engines, and the Chief. The first few minutes are action packed due to the limited manpower, and number of tasks that need to be completed. Flexibilty and quick thinking are key. If reports come in of a trapped person above the fire, I will take the can, knowing I will be above fire without water for a rapid rescue attempt. As far as tools, the Captain always has a TIC and officers bar, the irons man always has his irons and may also have a k-tool, rabbitt tool, hook, can, spreader bar or whatever may be needed.

edited for pc answer...

Edited by CTFF

edited out

Edited by nickcabral

Does anybody know how a 2 man truck works? Is the truck dedicated to vent only? I have heard a couple Departments that run a two man truck. Secondary question, Does anyone out there have special uses for the truck company? Something other than the norm?

I prefer truck work to engine work any day of the week......

Here are a few answers based on my experience, training, and either county or departmental SOP's where I have spent my time:

Two man Trucks aren't Trucks at all. It's an aerial device with one firefighter and a chauffer.

In a perfect world a truck company will consist of 6 personnel but no less than 4. Driver, the officer, and at least 2 but hopefully 4 ff's.

If you have 4 FF's a good SOP for the crew is (and this will vary by whether or not your first, second, third, etc. due.... and how far you park from the scene)

Driver - Operate aeriel device, throw ground ladders, secure utilities, assist with search & rescue (if aeriel is out of reach) meet up with OVM or Roof Man (if aeriel is out of reach)

Officer - Scene size up, assist with apparatus positioning, search & rescue, OIC if first unit on scene, secure utilities if driver or second due truck unable to.

Pike Pole/Can Man - Throw ground ladders, minor extinguishment with can, search & rescue, open up walls/ceiling for engine crew, overhaul

Irons Man - Forceable entry for engine crew, search & rescue, overhaul

If you have more than 4 FF's you can add the following

Outside Vent Man (OVM) - Vent outside of structure at command's and engine crew's request (windows, siding, cockloft, operate from fire escape), throw ground ladders, search & rescue

Roof Man - Begin roof vent at command's request, ensure stairwell door is functioning (and open if command requests), throw ground ladders, secure multiple routes of egress from roof for incoming crews, search and rescue

It is very important for the truck crew to be working in conjunction with the engine crew and command at all times. A freelancing truck crew that opens a fire up before command or the interior crews are ready can do more damage than good and even fry their brothers inside. Ill timed ventilation can be deadly.

Edited by mfc2257