Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimesUp

Now that its Vented

3 posts in this topic

So now the roof is vented. Is it vented above the fire? If so the fire should vent itself up and out of the structure thus preventing horizontal extention. If someone decides this would be a good oppertunity to put a master stream into the vent opening they would be defeating the purpose. The stream could be pushing the fire to other parts of the roof or structure.

Sometimes this is part of a strategy depending on the structure. If so you would want to position your master streams in a direction that would protect the uninvolved part of the stucture. Never position your stream as to push fire to uneffective parts of the structure. Take this into consideration when dealing with a roof that has collasped and the fire is well vented.

For an effective interior attack a well vented roof helps with advanceing the line and lets the Engine crew work in a better enviorment. However vent above or behind them and you created a bad situation.

Remember the fire is supposed to vent out of the hole you just made. If positioned properly this will keep fire from extending to other parts of the structure.

As a sidenote nothing above is related to the recent fire in Greenville.

lt rob. You mentioned great and factual things.

However, I pose this question? How often are we venting roofs ahead of the first line stretched?

Where does vertical ventilation sit amonst the 3 incident priorities, especially when we have to operate with below favorable personnel levels?

For many departments and even in some curriculums the importance of vertical ventilation is falling down the scale. With horizontal ventilation, search and other objectives being put ahead of it, and not in that particulary order. I know for me I have ventilated several roofs right as extinguishment was nearly completed or was obtained. A very high percentage of my vertical vents have been like that. Additionally how many of us have ventilated a roof, gone to push through the ceiling below and have hit plywood or tongue and groove planking because there is an attic space with stairs for storage? I know I have several times and have had heat and fire seek the lower pressure area I've created, which subsequently led to extension into the attic area.

As far as master streams, remember they often go up but they are more effective operating up and into some structures then down through smaller openings.

Putting water into a vent hole or small opening created by the fire is going to prolong things. You put water into vent hole with persons operating inside and you may looking at an a$$ whooping when they get out and lick their wounds.

lt rob.  You mentioned great and factual things. 

However, I pose this question?  How often are we venting roofs ahead of the first line stretched? 

Where does vertical ventilation sit amonst the 3 incident priorities, especially when we have to operate with below favorable personnel levels?

For many departments and even in some curriculums the importance of vertical ventilation is falling down the scale.  With horizontal ventilation, search and other objectives being put ahead of it, and not in that particulary order.  I know for me I have ventilated several roofs right as extinguishment was nearly completed or was obtained.  A very high percentage of my vertical vents have been like that.  Additionally how many of us have ventilated a roof, gone to push through the ceiling below and have hit plywood or tongue and groove planking because there is an attic space with stairs for storage?  I know I have several times and have had heat and fire seek the lower pressure area I've created, which subsequently led to extension into the attic area.

As far as master streams, remember they often go up but they are more effective operating up and into some structures then down through smaller openings.

Putting water into a vent hole or small opening created by the fire is going to prolong things.  You put water into vent hole with persons operating inside and you may looking at an a$$ whooping when they get out and lick their wounds.

Venting prior to putting water on the fire. Depends on where you work. Some departments can accomplish this at the same time. Other department might only have drivers and verticle ventilation might not take place or be an option. For some fires its ideal for others its not considered. Even if you did'nt vent verticle, after a while the fire might vent itself vertical giving you the option of hitting it from above so the direction from which master streams are used must be choosen carefully. Also at which time any interior personal must be removed and the added weight of the thousands of gallons of water must be taken into consideration.

Alot of fires go out without verticle ventilation and horizontal ventilation will suffice. As far as master streams I like to see them operated low to high but have seen the use of high to low and the negitive results.

I've done and seen alot of roof venting in my career and have seen it done wrong and right.

When done right it saves property and makes quick work of extinguishment.