Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest GMC-Heavy-Rescue

Peekskill 1950s GMC Heavy Rescue Retired

1 post in this topic

I recently acquired an early 1950s GMC Heavy Rescue truck aka “The Covered Wagon†that had been stored for many years at Camp Smith. It is retired from Peekskill FD possibly Engine Company 134, Station 2.

In early October I visited the Peekskill area and had an opportunity to tour second floor of the fire hall and see the many photographs, etc. I’ve been told that it was put in service in the early 1950s and retired in about 1966.

It would be great to speak with anyone who has memories or info about the truck; specific information, pictures, etc. While I was in the fire hall I photographed some of the pictures but ultimately would really like to get scans of some of them.

This weekend we had the truck running and it sounds pretty good. Ultimately the plan is to restore the truck back to original condition. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Also looking for info on the size of 6 cylinder engine, original features/options, operation, what happened to the pump, did it have a tank and some other questions.

You can reach me through the forum, by PM or email. If you send me your phone number I will call you back. I will post a few pictures in my photo album.

Thanks in advance.