Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firecapt32

Firefighting In Winter Weather

13 posts in this topic

Now that the snow and ice are upon us--- no wait--it hasent snowed yet--but it will. Do you or your department do anything different as far as responding and fighting fires in the cold and snow? do you as individual firefighter do anything different??

if a major storm is coming in we have a standby which we get paid for.

Rig / Equipment

We put a shovel in the hosebed so if you're hitting a hydrant you can grab it to dig it out if need be.

We keep a container of ice-melt on the rig too to throw down around the pump.

We have a small propane torch if we really, REALLY need to thaw a cap or valve.

We also just picked up some extra gloves, hoods and socks to keep on the rig to switch out with wet / frozen ones.

Response

Depending on the snowfall amount, we generally send our Tanker on all fire calls to give us extra water if a hydrant is buried / frozen.

Personal

I keep a winter cap & a spare pair of gloves in my gear. I also do my best to not run out the door in just a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.... can't tell you how many times I've done that stupid move!

I dont think we have to wory about that for a long time I hope

My one thing is; keep guys off the roof. Use the aerial. The roof is going to be slippery as well as having a snow load, we have to take into account the added load to the roof that may make it collapse more easily under stress.

I used to keep a small bag with a pair of woll socks, pair of gloves, wool sweater, tshirt, and ski cap in it. I would place this in a plastic bag to keep it dry and would put it on the rig at the begining of my tour. Since I have been on in the city, I keep a spare pair of gloves, hood, and tshirt/sweatshirt in the rig.

I used to keep a pair of gloves, socks, a nice warm sweatshirt, and a full change of clothes in a bag in my locker for those busy, snowy nights that you get tons of calls

My one thing is; keep guys off the roof. Use the aerial. The roof is going to be slippery as well as having a snow load, we have to take into account the added load to the roof that may make it collapse more easily under stress.

Being a "truckie" myself I think thats to broad a statement. You should know your capabilities and perform appropriotly

I used to keep a small bag with a pair of woll socks, pair of gloves, wool sweater, tshirt, and ski cap in it.  I would place this in a plastic bag to keep it dry and would put it on the rig at the begining of my tour.  Since I have been on in the city, I keep a spare pair of gloves, hood, and tshirt/sweatshirt in the rig.

So far this year, my spare clothes bag still has shorts and a t-shirt in it. If and when we get winter it changes to sweats.

Being a "truckie" myself I think thats to broad a statement. You should know your capabilities and perform appropriotly

It was under the assumption of a heavy snow, sorry, I should have stated that. We had that exact situation about two years ago. We had an attic fire during a snow storm. They put guys on the roof, but then they came off almost immediately because they were having such trouble because of the snow.

I do the similiar. I have a small duffle bag that I put in the rig beginning of every tour. I have an extra pair of dry clothes, sweatpants, tshirt, sweatshirt and multiple pairs of socks. I also have in there an extra pair of gloves, and winter hat and a roll of small garbage bags. For those defensive operations, where there are tons of puddles or my boots are soaked from slushing around the fireground, I take one of those garbage bags, put on a dry pair of socks, put a garbage bag over my foot and then another sock and I tear off the excess bag around the top. Keeps you dry even if your boots are soaked on the inside. Just a carry over trick from the Marine Corps. The bags I use and always liked best are the small thin ones like used in offices (our firehouses) and such for small office like garbage cans.

as for the rigs, make sure that the chains are on before the storm hits. it is a lot easier to drop the chains than it is to put them on. it also takes a lot less time to drop the chains if they are not needed. also before the chains go on make sure they are in good working condition and not too beat or there is the possbility that they might break on you and tear up the wheel well.

as for myself i keep a winter fire call hat in my gear grid. it is a nice little hat that has flaps to keep my ears and head worm. i lso keep a few diferent pairs of gloves in my gear grid depending on the weather i will grap the appropriate pair.

as always stay safe and use your best judgement for what you will need and what needs to be done to do the job. dont forget your safety and well being.

snow? whats snow???

we have crews stand by in the station.. we do not get paid but the district spring in for food during the entire event.

the only thing different is the response is altered

extrications and working fires still get the same response, everything is else is usually a single engine response from the closest station. if we get a reported fire with just one call or smoke in the building, its usually one engine one truck