Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

Blue Light Laws for NJ?

8 posts in this topic

I know that both volunteer EMS & FD personnel in NJ use blue lights on their POVs. What are the specific laws regarding blue lights on POVs in NJ? I heard somewhere that part of the law in NJ was changed to permit "blue lighters" to go thru a stop sign and a red light when responding to a call. I also heard that it is now mandatory for other motorists to yield the right of way to "blue lighters".

Also, what is the deal with FD, EMS & PD vehicles using red and blue lights in combination with each other? I have seen some FD, PD & EMS vehicles with red and blue lights together, but I have also seen just straight red used.

What is the deal?

Negative K!!! Vollies in NJ are not allow to fly through red lights, or stop signs. The Police here will give you a ticket. If there are vollies who get away with it.. its because the Police look the other way.

It is not mandatory to yield to the blue light, although the law states that drivers should yield right of way.. its not mandatory. Driver's have been given tickets.. but I don't know if they actually held up in a Court of Law.

The blue lights on Emergency Vehicles started popping up about 5 years ago. The law enforcement side started putting them on their vehicles, and the rest of the services followed. But I do not know if the law actually changed. At one time blue lights were exclusive to vollies only.

I know that both volunteer EMS & FD personnel in NJ use blue lights on their POVs. What are the specific laws regarding blue lights on POVs in NJ? I heard somewhere that part of the law in NJ was changed to permit "blue lighters" to go thru a stop sign and a red light when responding to a call. I also heard that it is now mandatory for other motorists to yield the right of way to "blue lighters".

Also, what is the deal with FD, EMS & PD vehicles using red and blue lights in combination with each other? I have seen some FD, PD & EMS vehicles with red and blue lights together, but I have also seen just straight red used.

What is the deal?

I think the blue lights are more visable, that is why you are seeing it in combination with other lights.

Volunteer EMS and FD personnel are granted the use of blue lights as defined in Title 39 of the NJ Administrative Code. In order to receive permission to install and use a blue light in a POV, the volunteer must apply for a permit through the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, which is then signed by the department's Chief and by the town's mayor. Although this light is for use when responding to an emergency, it is not to be used in combination with a siren or other audible warning device. As such, motorists using blue lights are not permitted to take the right of way from other motorists on the road, as this light is more of a courtesy light than an actual emergency warning light. Consequently, volunteers who use blue lights must adhere to normal driving rules in that they must stop at any and all traffic signals - including mobile signals affixed to school buses - and they must not forcibly overtake lane space from any other driver; right of way must be granted by other drivers in order for the volunteer to pass. Any volunteer who is seen by the police driving in a manner that is abusive to his or her blue light privileges is subject to the same penalties as a normal driver. Conversely, if there is an accident second to a volunteer driving recklessly while operating his or her blue light, not only is the volunteer liable for penalty, the agency is also open to some liability as well.

As far as combinations of red and blue on marked emergency response vehicles, I do not believe that there is a statute that defines what color light must be affixed to that type of vehicle. Generally, red was most commonly used by vehicle manufacturers, but with the advent of hyper-bright LEDs which come in an array of colors, blue started to come into the fold.

Thank you all for the information. I have relatives who ride in NJ. They just got a new bus in their VAC and I asked them why they did not get any blue lights on the bus. They told me it was not legal to have blue on their buses.

Under New Jersey State Law, drivers of non-emergency vehicles shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid squad or rescue squad displaying emergency warning lights as in the same manner as authorized emergency vehicles (N.J.S.A. 39:4-92).

It is now mandatory that a person pull over for a blue light in a vehicle because that vehicle can be considered as an emergency vehicle

Outstanding!! At least they have some recognition!!!

Under New Jersey State Law, drivers of non-emergency vehicles shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid squad or rescue squad displaying emergency warning lights as in the same manner as authorized emergency vehicles (N.J.S.A. 39:4-92).

It is now mandatory that a person pull over for a blue light in a vehicle because that vehicle can be considered as an emergency vehicle

No. A blue light vehicle is not an emergency vehicle. NJAC Title 39 defines an emergency vehicle as one having red lights and sirens, and the ability to circumvent traffic signals so long as the driver uses due regard for other motorists. If you try running a traffic signal with a blue light, and you're seen doing it, you'll get a summons.