Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY CPAT Exam?

8 posts in this topic

as we all know by now, the fdny's physical was changed to the CPAT, but i wasnt aware till recently that they also changed the written portion as well, compared to the last exams....i remember seeing press releases and articles all over about the physical, but not about the written.

anybody know anything about it...

They make it sound like its a big change, but from the practice questions they gave out it doesn't seem all that different. nyc.gov/fdny has a link to the first book. The second book should be up soon.

i read they changed the written to a pass/fail grade

Question, if the written was changed to pass/fail and they did implement CPAT, how could they possibly establish a list ranking individuals? I can't see a valid way to evaluate and rank someone based on the results of CPAT other than who finishes in the fastest time, but that seems very impractical

i wouldnt think they made the written a pass/fail, cause the physical is. if both were pass/fail, how would their be any competition if everybody passed? would they weigh is somehow???

also, i didnt think it'd be much different, but from what i saw, it is pretty different from the past exams. the past exams were simply, memorization and then a bunch of reading comprehension, but this version (according to the books and from what ppl have said) added 7 more sections to it. they are all pretty much alike, in the sense that they say there are spatial orientation sections, deductive reasoning sections, inductive reasonings section etc etc...but its all pretty much reading comprehension in the end. so in that sense, its the same...but you'll notice alot more pictures (best way i can explain it, lol) in this one, also more graphs and charts....

i wouldnt think they made the written a pass/fail, cause the physical is. if both were pass/fail, how would their be any competition if everybody passed? would they weigh is somehow???

also, i didnt think it'd be much different, but from what i saw, it is pretty different from the past exams.  the past exams were simply, memorization and then a bunch of reading comprehension, but this version (according to the books and from what ppl have said) added 7 more sections to it.  they are all pretty much alike, in the sense that they say there are spatial orientation sections, deductive reasoning sections, inductive reasonings section etc etc...but its all pretty much reading comprehension in the end.  so in that sense, its the same...but you'll notice alot more pictures (best way i can explain it, lol) in this one, also more graphs and charts....

yup, thats pretty much what i took from it too. i also dont think its a pass/fail, but i could be wrong!

The written is definately NOT pass/fail. It is graded. The CPAT is pass/fail. Spatial orientation, deductive reasoning, and inductive reasoning have been part of the last few test. Now the emphasis has been increased. They goal is to gear the test more towards the skills required for firefighters and away from general test taking ability.

If you want ansswers to the questions about the exam. 1. check the exam announcment. 2 Go to a recruiting station. 3. Call the number associated with taking exam.