Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dc2t

Why are people dying

10 posts in this topic

As i sit at my desk today and listen to the scanner for a man down unresponsive and not breathing

the local ambulance cannot get out/ ALS is 10 plus minutes out mutual aid / how can this be allowed. There is a need for a greater level of EMS service in Westchester. When will the powers to be both local and on the county level wake up. This is not about Paid vs Vol. rant it is about patient care. Wake up Westchester .

You can add Putnam to the list as well - however it has gotten better with the long awaited safety net medic 3 and 4 offer. I've said this before, and i will say it again. Its a shame that your average junkie/crack head in NYC can enjoy his high with the satisfaction of knowing hes guaranteed both BLS and ALS (if needed) assets in a extremely reasonable time frame. The people of Westchester and Putnam simply have no idea what they are not getting. Look, this isn't a game - if you cant get out after the first dispatch, go mutual aid. 3 tones/5 minutes/whatever doesn't cut it.

Edited by 66Alpha1

You can add Putnam to the list as well - however it has gotten better with the long awaited safety net medic 3 and 4 offer. I've said this before, and i will say it again. Its a shame that your average junkie/crack head in NYC can enjoy his high with the satisfaction of knowing hes guaranteed both BLS and ALS (if needed) assets in a extremely reasonable time frame. The people of Westchester and Putnam simply have no idea what they are not getting. Look, this isn't a game - if you cant get out after the first dispatch, go mutual aid. 3 tones/5 minutes/whatever doesn't cut it.

Our average response to a "Sick job" in the city is 4 mins or less only the Best!

Our average response to a "Sick job" in the city is 4 mins or less only the Best!

maybe for your unit, but I really doubt that. In December segment 1-3 citywide average is 6:30 and 7:45 for all calls. For those outside FDNY segment 1-3 is all lifethreatening emergencies (cardiac arrest, unconcious, choke, etc)

Most people don't see EMS as a necessary service. Even when people do "need" EMS they often could have been just as well served by a taxi. Its rare for someone to be involved in a true emergency. Even then, how is a person suppose to know what is lacking in their care. With PD and a medic on scene most people stop watching the clock. I can think of several cases where the vac I was a member at would get letters singing our praises for our prompt response when we took 15 minutes to get on scene at a call 3 minutes from the building. Until you get involved on the service end you don't realize what going on.

Edited by partyrock

maybe for your unit, but I really doubt that.  In December segment 1-3 citywide average is 6:30 and 7:45 for all calls.  For those outside FDNY segment 1-3 is all lifethreatening emergencies (cardiac arrest, unconcious, choke, etc)

Most people don't see EMS as a necessary service.  Even when people do "need" EMS they often could have been just as well served by a taxi.  Its rare for someone to be involved in a true emergency.  Even then, how is a person suppose to know what is lacking in their care.  With PD and a medic on scene most people stop watching the clock.  I can think of several cases where the vac I was a member at would get letters singing our praises for our prompt response when we took 15 minutes to get on scene at a call 3 minutes from the building.  Until you get involved on the service end you don't realize what going on.

Nice post partyrock. But 8 minutes is far better than some Westchester/Putnam agencies. Sometimes your talking in excess of 15 minutes. If your in the system you certainly know the faults, no doubt about that. With that, the only way this is going to change is from the inside out and its the members of EMS that will/can make this happen. Thats only going to stop when membership/staff/officers/administration stop deeming these shortfalls as acceptable.

Edited by 66Alpha1

I agree But it does not Help when your ambulance are Stuck on that 1-3 times a week going to the same house for that same old BS Call as you tie your ambulance up and then yu get hit when a more serious call. and durning the day time it is hard to get crews because people have jobs and it is really hard to get people out. BUT I DO AGREE PT CARE SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF EVERYBODYS LIST

I agree But it does not Help when your ambulance are Stuck on that 1-3 times a week going to the same house for that same old BS Call as you tie your ambulance up and then yu get hit when a more serious call. and durning the day time it is hard to get crews because people have jobs and it is really hard to get people out. BUT I DO AGREE PT CARE SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF EVERYBODYS LIST

Wrong. It doesn't matter how many times you visit your frequent flyer's. Does the BS get old? Sure, no doubt about it. But NEVER let the fact that your visiting a frequent flyer get in the way of your job. If you want to play ambulance, play ambulance 100% of the time not 1% of the time on the good trauma or the arrest. There is far more to EMS than all the glory and cushy stuff that comes with saving lives. As far as additional calls in a district, thats why you have a second ambulance and mutual aid agreements. If you know you have an issue with daytime coverage, swallow your pride and pay 2 EMTs 7a - 7p to cover the jobs you cant.

In some areas that still wouldn't solve the problem.

Add in our wonderful 911 system in Westchester where you don't have a central answering point and many of our agencies get delayed further and unnecessarily by PD holding the call and not transferring it properly.

As far as the frequent flyer and "BS" calls.

1. They're not 'BS' to the caller.

2. I've said this before. Its our own fault. If you do not educate people on what is proper and what will and will not happen when you call an ambulance, its your own agencies fault. Right up there with nursing homes. I hear a lot of person b****!ng and moaning, but no "leadership" calling with the directors and speaking to them about calls that private ambulances could handle, not tying up 911 resources.

absolutely right ALS. Outside of a select few, no one likes to ride the ambulance in to the hospital. I've seen the lightbulb go off in several people when I explained to them their other options it doesn't work for most, but every agency deals with this. I can't tell you how many times someone has pulled a corner box for a dispute or some other PD problem because they knew the fire dept always shows up.

While having centralized dispatch does help and educating nursing home staff/administration as how to best utilize 911 resources is essential. The person with injuries from a standing fall or general illness (non-nursing home jobs) are more than likely to wait an unjust amount of time for an ambulance. I think there needs to be some serious, serious discussion at the County level about some sort of mandate or standardized policy regarding this issue.