Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hartsdale - 2nd Alarm At The Firehouse 1-19

12 posts in this topic

I haven't seen much information on this as of yet. Just curious to see if everyone is alright, the cause (possibly from construction?), and the extent of the damage to station 2. Any information will be of much appreciation.

A friend of mine mentioned that he was told that numerous Hartsdale firefighters were at White Plains Hospital getting decontaminated and treated but News 12 said there was no injuries. Hope they're all OK.

Blaze damages firehouse addition

By REKA BALA

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: January 20, 2007)

HARTSDALE - An apparatus bay under construction at one of the town's firehouses was heavily damaged last night after a powerful fire tore through the addition, pushing back years of work that would have created more storage space for firefighters, officials said.

Shortly after 7 p.m., firefighters at Hartsdale Fire Station No. 2, 300 W. Hartsdale Ave., began combating the fire at the new addition, a maintenance bay that would have been ready in about two months. The bay was set to store equipment and include living spaces, as well as exercise and meeting rooms, said Deputy Fire Chief James MacWhirter.

Although the fire was knocked down after about 45 minutes, the damage was severe enough to delay the bay's opening, he said.

"It's a multimillion-dollar addition, and now it's a major loss," MacWhirter said. "It's an additional bay that was sorely needed."

Equipment that cannot fit inside the firehouse is left outside, he said.

MacWhirter said the living, meeting and exercise areas only suffered smoke damage while the bay itself suffered much more.

He said the fire was discovered when firefighters, who were manning the main part of the firehouse, began smelling smoke and soon realized the new addition was on fire.

"Flames were rolling out the windows," MacWhirter said.

About 60-70 firefighters from Fairview, Greenville, Scarsdale, Elmsford and Hartsdale helped last night working at either the fire or out on the streets, MacWhirter said.

The cause of the fire is still being investigated.

That really sucks, imagine the guys were sleeping and didn't notice the fire, that would have been a disaster.

On a different note, at least it happened now and not when the area was in service.

X635,

Are you OK?

hey seth did u have your camera

X635,

Are you OK?

Last I heard, x635 was working Station 2 and was MPO of the first due engine.

Is Hartsdale operating out of Station 2, or is it closed? What did the guy dispatching do?

Where's the pictures? Funny I'm not hearin much about this one... Hey Seth where are you? Oh wait did he go away or something? don't take it the wrong way...

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"I'm Never Going To See A Fire!

So, last night my group was working, and I took the night off.

And what happens? Engine 170 goes to Fairview for a working fire.

I am a cursed white cloud. This has happened to me before, it seems whenever I take off, or am off or away, there is a fire.

I am aware that fires come in spurts, and I have 19 more years left on the job, but still it's quite annoying. I don't want anyone's property or lives to be in danger, nor am I wishing that.....I just would hope that when it does happen, it would coincide with my work schedule.

Very aggravated. Oh well though, I enjoyed my night off at least. And at least it wasn't a E170 or E169 first due fire."

SETH HOW WAS YOUR 1ST JOB IN HARTSDALE?

Hats off to my brothers in Hartsdale for the way they handled a difficult situation.

I hope that the rebuild of the damage section happens quickly for them.