Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NY vs. MASS

4 posts in this topic

Hello everybody. I am trying to figure out some reciprocity issues and stuff that will hopefully benefit me in the upcoming years.

I have passed New York State's FF1, and am currently taking EMT-B in hopes of obtaining my New York State certification. The problem is that I am attending college soon (possibly in Massachusetts), and I don't know what carries over to where, what I have to retake, etc etc etc.

So here are my questions in raw form:

1. Does Massachusetts take the National FF1 certification, or does it have it's own (like New York State)?

2. Once I obtain my NYS EMT-B certification, is there a Mass. test, or do I take the national exam and it will apply in that state?

You have to call the Mass Department of Health, they will answer all your questions pertaining to the EMT certification.

Mass does not accept National Registry or CT EMT so I think NYS EMT will not be accepted either. Last I knew they only had reciprocity agreements with VT, NH, Maine and RI. I know with a CT license you can challenge the test (aka take it with out going to class depending how many years experience you have.

As for becoming a firefighter in Mass, it is hard! The majority of the department go through the HRD (Human Resources Department) statewide test. It is given every year or two, usually in Boston. They do accept a national FFI but if your from out of state they will not give you points on the test for it (I've tried every year).

You need to call Massachusettes equivalent of NY State's OFPC. I know its easy to ask for info on sites like this, but some answers are better to get from the horse's mouth.