Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firecapt32

NYS New FFI & II Curriculum Changes

4 posts in this topic

Just recievd word from the Office of Fire Prevention and Control. As of 4/01/07 We will be useing Delmar instead of IAFSTA.

All State Fire Instructors are being notified, and the County has to notify all County Fire Instructors.

This change has long been anticiaped by some, and dreded by others.

What do you guys have to say about it??

I think it sucks - money now wasted on the IFSTA books....

WHY CAN'T NYS BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE?!

I just took a course and half the class had one text, the other half another.

"Those of you with the right book turn to 5-21, those with the others go to 8-3."

D'oh.

I have a stupid question so bare with me. Is it just a new book, or is it a total overhaul of the class? Also, will this be nationally certified or still unique to New York? Thanks in advance for the answers

585...wait until it all comes out and then see if you still think it sucks. There will be no turn to page xyz in delmar and for those of you that still have IFSTA turn to this. You either get with the program or you risk the chance of being sent home.

What is "being like everyone else?" Not everyone in the nation uses IFSTA anymore, much for the same reasons why the state is switching. They gave IFSTA a chance and IFSTA has been and still is doing a 5th Edition....don't hold your breath on that one. The bids went out and Delmar was the only vendor that met the state's bid requirements. Believe me...there were quite of few of us that were hoping that IAFC/Jones and Bartlett would get it and there are guys I teach with that swear by and love the Delmar. I've been using Jones and Bartlett's powerpoints for some time for Firefighter 1 and so have some other SFI/CFI's with no problems.

The warnings have gone out months ago that the state is looking at a potential change. I for one welcome it for the following reasons...even though I prefer Jones and Bartlett of Thompson Delmar Learning.

1. IFSTA's manual and presentations for the instructor packages suck. Cartoons? How about updating you info a little faster as well like the others (Delmar, Jones and Bartlett) with faster reprints.

2. Better content, better written and more up to date as said.

3. As an instructor the presentations are outstanding and again have pictures instead of the same cartoon that was used in Essentials 1st edition. Color pictures...wow that's a technological advancement that IFSTA hasn't figured has happened yet apparantly. Then again, most of the guys in the black and white photos in their manuals probably have been far retired by now since they took them for the very first manual.

As far as the other questions...the curriculum is not changing as of right now. The course is still 78 hours. What is changing is the vendor the state is using to deliver the course and what manuals the students will have to utilize during the course. Also this course isn't unique to NY. It is just the way NY delivers Firefighter 1 and 2 as outlined in NFPA 1001 which is what every other curriculum is based on as well. I'm hoping that some day the class itself with scantron testing given by the instructor will give national certification as many other state's curriculums do.

Which by the way **rant warning, rant warning** how in the fu(k can a department still not even have IFSTA Essentials Manuals for their people that they are sending to Firefighter 1 and 2? This has been given since 2003.....bravo bravo for those departments whom you know who you are...that's a hell of a way to instill a sense of importance of training.

Edited by alsfirefighter