Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

FDNY STRATEGIC PLAN 2007-2008

7 posts in this topic

FDNY has released it's Strategic Plan for 2007-2008.

You can download a copy from Nycfire.net

http://nycfire.net/node/363

Some Key points it talks about.

EMT needed to take test for FF. Extra points if a Medic

Paramedic Rescue Engines

So i guess people were right when they said the City wanted to start running ALS engines, make all FFs EMTs, and fully fold EMS into the FD?

Edited by 66Alpha1

Do you REALLY think you'll see much of that?

Well.. These things have been talked about for sometime now.. This is the first time that a lot of this has been placed on paper in this format. It's anyones guess as to what will happen and when.

Ive been saying it for a long time but am speechless to actually see it on paper. I wonder if I will be allowed to let my EMT card expire when (and if) I roll to FD. I am so burnt from playing "Mista Ambolance Man". Don't get me wrong, I love EMS, but in the city it is just a taxi ride.

For some reason I think my ambulance days might not be over...arggh.

I think its a good idea to have all FFs be EMTs but not to roll the ems and fire all into one, it would unessesarily complicate things.

Since I was off this morning I popped down to my old stomping grounds and caught up with an EMS union delegate. As per their meeting earlier this week they will be joining the UFA and UFOA in unilateral opposition to any form of an ALS engine. It will not be up for discussion or negotion in the up comming contract talks. Both sides see it as union busting. I don't know how much of that is just talk, but apparently this subject dominated the meeting and the mood implied that all were seriously opposed.

As for needing to be an EMT and points for medics on the test that was not done on the last test and will be discussed further at another time.

And now for my two cents. The CFR engines have been very effective at reducing response times and saving lives. Its an excellent program that should continue. If the fire dpeartment determines that it needs medics that can operate with the squads and rescues then they need to spend the money on training more rescue medics. ALS skills need to be practiced all the time. If you don't get out in the field and use them you get rusty and slow. Ask any medic in the city, and most have had to help the ER staff get a tough stick or tube someone because the ER staff just deosn't deal with as much crap. Stick a BLS crew with the FASTeam and let them care for us if things turn south. Being an EMT on the fire floor isn't going to do much good. Until you can get them out to a safe environment where EMS should be wating.