Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uvfd67

Former SEMO Director dies

4 posts in this topic

Emergency manager dies at 67

By Michael Woyton

Poughkeepsie Journal

VERBANK — Friends and colleagues Sunday mourned the death Friday of Edward F. Jacoby Jr., 67, a leader in wildfire prevention and emergency management.

Jacoby had been diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome, in which the body doesn’t produce enough blood cells, about 21⁄2 years ago, said Matthew Jacoby, his son.

“He let his family members know that he felt his illness was related to the time he spent down at Ground Zero,” he said.

Edward Jacoby coordinated all state agency responses —search and rescue and recovery operations after the attack on the World Trade Center in New York City on Sept. 11, 2001.

Help others at Ground Zero

Matthew Jacoby said his father wanted his feelings made known so it might help other Ground Zero workers with health-related problems.

Edward Jacoby spent 44 years working for state government, starting with the state Conservation Department, a precursor to the Department of Environmental Conservation.

He worked his way up the department, eventually being appointed superintendent for the state Forest Rangers.

He served in that position until 1995 when he was appointed director for the state Emergency Management Office.

Former county emergency coordinator DeWitt Sagendorph had known Jacoby since his forest ranger days.

“He was a real gentleman,” Sagendorph said. “And a forward thinker.

“He was always looking to meet the needs of the future.”

Union Vale Fire Chief Richard Guiliani spoke highly of Jacoby, a 50-year life member of the department.

“He was a tremendous leader,” he said. “He was just a person that people wanted to follow. He was well respected in the community as well as the county and state.”

In addition to Matthew Jacoby, Edward Jacoby Jr. is survived by his wife, Jane; two other sons; a daughter; nine grandchildren; four nephews; an aunt and a sister.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday.

Michael Woyton can be reached at mwoyton@poughkeepsiejournal.com

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pb...GtQzDOxmRiZU%3D

When I started working with SEMO a year ago Ed Jacoby had already retired, I met him a few times, on differnt occasions. Ed Jacoby was admired and well respected throughout the state. His honesty, humor, leadership, and many other qualities will be missed. Mr. Jacoby Region II will never be the same without you gracing us with your presence.

Rest in Peace Boss. : (

Edited by calhobs

In addition to being Chief in Ardsley in the early 1980's, I worked at Indian Point. I worked with Ed for about 12 years. My role in the event of an emergency at Indian Point was to respond to the State Emergency Operations Center (located in the sub-basement of the State Police building) and be the Technivcal Advisor to the State. In addition to being very competant, Ed was a true gentleman.

Edited by x2011

In addition to being Chief in Ardsley in the early 1980's, I worked at Indian Point.  I worked with Ed for about 12 years.  My role in the event of an emergency at Indian Point was to respond to the State Emergency Operations Center (located in the sub-basement of the State Police building) and be the Technivcal Advisor to the State.  In addition to being very competant, Ed was a true gentleman.

I got to know Ed through the Fire service and he was a true Gentlemen, i spent a couple of years in Clove Valley while i was building my house and my family used to buy Christmas Trees from Ed & his wife who sold them from their property in Union Vale. Great man and he will be missed by many.