Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alsfirefighter

CDC Fire Investigation Unit "The NO GO Team"

5 posts in this topic

Everyone needs to read this article! It is the 2nd part to the PASS alarm story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16991877/

This is typical federal/congressional bull$hit. And it could seriously effect our safety.

Everyone needs to read this article!  It is the 2nd part to the PASS alarm story. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16991877/

This is typical federal/congressional bull$hit.  And it could seriously effect our safety.

One of the most dissapointing things that I've ever read. To be honest, I believe the CDC is not the proper department to head up this type of investigation.

Frankly, given the technical nature of many FF deaths including collapse, HAZMAT, etc., I would say that the NTSB is infinatly more prepared to investigate than the CDC. The NTSB, by it's very nature has to carefully preserve evidence in large train and aircraft incidents, as well as determine mechanism of the the incident.

I could be wrong here, but I think it's time to switch the focus away from the CDC and more towards a technical agency better equipped to handle these incidents.

Read it already, and i got fed up with the entire situation. Basically, no one gives a s*** about us, so what its going to come down to is us protecting ourselves.

I agree with both of you.

Why firefighter fatality investigations wouldn't have been placed under the Unites States Fire Administration is beyond me. They issue many technical series reports on the LODD's and other critical fire service occurances. NTSB protocol could be the model of how to set up federal investigations. However its also important to note while this is a no brainer. I do not believe very many other occupations get investigated at the federal level. ie, law enforcement LODD's etc. They do get investigated however maybe its not at the federal level we should be looking. I by principle often make the argument that the federal government shouldn't always get involved at the local level. Much like my arguments that people do not understand nor understand the procedure for the involvement of FEMA.

With protecting ourselves, this always has been and always will be. Problem is many that have the responsibility of protecting their people often are not qualified nor take the right steps even with good LODD reports of what happened and how certain steps need to be taken to reduce the chances of it happening again. The key word is reduced...I'm not ignorant enough to think that deaths will never happen. Its just sad that some involve things that have caused deaths before and the whole history repeating itself routine.

Do you all think its time that an agency like the NFPA be transformed from a "guidelines" type of agency to something that sets a national standard for all fire department equipment and such? I'm getting tired of these shortcuts by the feds and not adopting standards.