Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers 2-23-07 Three Alarm

13 posts in this topic

And this was a fire resistant structure...apartment was apparent colliers mansion.

And this was a fire resistant structure...apartment was apparent colliers mansion.

I feel dumb asking this question. But thats what this site is for right....and I can learn somthing. What makes a fire resistant structure "resistant"? Different material like metal beams instead of wood studs in the walls?

Don't feel dumb, asking questions is the only way to find answers! Hopefully this will help.

Fire Resistive/ Type II Construction: (Sometimes referred to as non-combustible).

The structural elements in these buildings are usually steel, iron, concrete or masonry. The structural elements of Type II buildings are noncombustible materials.

The floor construction of Type II buildings is made of noncombustible material, provided, that a wood surface or finish may be applied over such noncombustible material. IE: tounge and groove floor boards atop steel beams. The "bulk" of the building's structural components must be non-combustible.... usually this type of building has masonry walls with steel or iron components, and it isn't too uncommon to find wooden floors in them.

Anyone else got something to add / edit?

There is Five basic types of building construction. I hope I get these right.

Type I - "Fire Proof"

Type II - "Fire Resistant"

Type III - "Ordinary"

Type IV - "Heavy Timber"

Type V - "Wood Frame"

Edited by Remember585

Well I just took the class: Fire Behavior and Arson awareness (Great Class BTW!) and we talked a little about the different type of buildings.

Type I- Fire Resistant (Concrete/Steel not exposed, the one you are asking about.)

Type II - Non-Combustable (Only difference between this and a Type I is there is EXPOSED steel. Another note is it may have floor to floor spread. i guess an example would be a parking garage, or a warehouse)

Type III- Ordinary (Made up of Wood/masonry, basically your average tax payers)

Type IV- Heavy Timber (Made of of thick wood, my only guess of a good example would be a church or a barn?)

Type V - Wood frame (Your average home with the white picket fence)

Now when I first saw this building today, I thought it had to be ordinary. Masonry from the outside, but as Ive been taught looks can definitely be deceiving, especially when it comes to building types today.

So to answer your question...In a type I there are entrances protected by fire resistant doors, the walls are supposedly made of steel with some sort of fire resistant covering that can with stand up to a certain amount of heat. I believe the exterior of these type I buildings are known to be cheap from what I can remember? And the roofs are supposed to be concrete or a hard material. So basically Type I's are going to give a little more protection and time then the usual type constructions.

IMO this is a GREAT topic and should be discussed more and more.

Don't feel dumb, asking questions is the only way to find answers!  Hopefully this will help. 

Fire Resistive/ Type II Construction:  (Sometimes referred to as non-combustible).

The structural elements in these buildings are usually steel, iron, concrete or masonry.  The structural elements of Type II buildings are noncombustible materials.

The floor construction of Type II buildings is made of noncombustible material, provided, that a wood surface or finish may be applied over such noncombustible material.  IE: tounge and groove floor boards atop steel beams.  The "bulk" of the building's structural components must be non-combustible.... usually this type of building has masonry walls with steel or iron components, and it isn't too uncommon to find wooden floors in them.

Anyone else got something to add / edit?

There is Five basic types of building construction.  I hope I get these right.

Type I - "Fire Proof"

Type II - "Fire Resistant"

Type III - "Ordinary"

Type IV - "Heavy Timber"

Type V - "Wood Frame"

Well I just took the class: Fire Behavior and Arson awareness (Great Class BTW!) and we talked a little about the different type of buildings.

Type I- Fire Resistant (Concrete/Steel not exposed, the one you are asking about.)

Type II - Non-Combustable (Only difference between this and a Type I is there is EXPOSED steel. Another note is it may have floor to floor spread. i guess an example would be a parking garage, or a warehouse)

Type III- Ordinary (Made up of Wood/masonry, basically your average tax payers)

Type IV- Heavy Timber (Made of of thick wood, my only guess of a good example would be a church or a barn?)

Type V - Wood frame (Your average home with the white picket fence)

Now when I first saw this building today, I thought it had to be ordinary. Masonry from the outside, but as Ive been taught looks can definitely be deceiving, especially when it comes to building types today.

So to answer your question...In a type I there are entrances protected by fire resistant doors, the walls are supposedly made of steel with some sort of fire resistant covering that can with stand up to a certain amount of heat. I believe the exterior of these type I buildings are known to be cheap from what I can remember? And the roofs are supposed to be concrete or a hard material. So basically Type I's are going to give a little more protection and time then the usual type constructions.

IMO this is a GREAT topic and should be discussed more and more.

Oh ok

Thank You

Some things to look for between non combustible construction and ordinary constuction from the street:

If the exterior has fire escapes it is ordinary construction

If the exterior has no fire escapes but has cockloft vents it is ordinary construction

If the exterior has no fire escapes and no cockloft vent it is non combustible

These are a couple that I know of if anyone has any other "sizeup" clues please add them

it is a good idea to know your area's building that you will be going to work in

Edited by lad12derff

what does a cockloft vent look like?

what does a cockloft vent look like?

Just above the windows of the top floor you will see metal grates or vents. These will allow air flow into the cockloft to prevent moisture from building up and rotting the wood.

You will find Cockloft vents in two common places. From an exposure or on the roof. Common roof vents look like your typical "chefs" hat. Knocking these off is a quick way to check/vent cockloft. The other will be placed roughly at celing level of the top floor(ie- at cockloft level/base of parapit wall). The best way to explain it is if you have seen the vent under windows where an A/C unit would be it looks similar to that but at cockloft level. If you are out and about today take a look at some of your typical Type II construction.