Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ems-buff

Somers- Working Fire- 2/26/06

13 posts in this topic

Number 7 water gate drive. Cross of mahopac Ave call reports fire in the walls. Now i loss it. I can't hear anything. Did they go to a differant frequency?

This is all i got.

Somers possable 10-75

Edited by ems-buff

Number 7 water gate drive. Cross of mahopac Ave call reports fire in the walls. Now i loss it. I can't hear anything. Did they go to a differant frequency?

yeah, they are on their district wide which is 154.220

Yes, Vinny. they do almost all of their transmissions of their District wide frequency, which I don't recall at the moment. I was surprised to hear them dispatch the possible structure fire on low band. Most of their dispatching is even done on High Band.

Yes, Vinny. they do almost all of their transmissions of their District wide frequency, which I don't recall at the moment. I was surprised to hear them dispatch the possible structure fire on low band. Most of their dispatching is even done on High Band.

That sucks and i don't think i'll be able to hear the VHF from New Rochelle EH?

somers only pages out possible and confirmed structure fires on 46.26 all other pages and all communications are on district wide.

As an update on the 10-75. resident was home and threw water on the fire putting it out. The fire was electrical in origin and contained to one wall. FD opened wall and confirmed not extension and called in the building department. We had Engine 185, engine 186, Rescue 20, and 2441, 2442 and 2445 on scene

This call actually occurred on the 25th - not the 26th, right?

Wow, I had no idea it was an all-hands working fire!!! J/K! laugh.gif

I figured with Mike on the desk in Somers it would of been - seems like he is dispatching everytime Somers has a fire....

To answer some questions and clarify some others-

Somers Fire District has been operating on it's own frequency since the late 80's. It was commomly known as District Wide.

We finally decided to switch all dispatching and operations over to it, due to the enormous amount of traffic on the county frequencies. With our increased level of calls, as well as everyone elses, along with all the new UHF links, where you can hear a firefighter in thier SCBA mask in a basement fire in California!

It's definitely a firefighter safety issue- we can now speak and be heard, and not be stepped on by the other 52 departments in the county!

We simulcast dispatch on 46.26 for any reported fires, confirmed fires, or technical rescues- in line with our dispatch protocols for blowing the sirens in town.

We still have the low band radios in our apparatus, and are currently getting the new county UHF mobiles installed, so we are still able to operate on the county frequencies.

We also have UHF fireground portables assigned to every officer, vehicle and SCBA, and we automtically go to our assigned channel (CH.1) for fireground communications.

Hope this helps.

We strive for the safety of our firefighters and EMS workers to be paramount!!!!!!!

What the heck is an "EMS worker"? Is that like an ambulance driver?

Alternate radio channels / frequencies - a concept not yet grasped by certain northern County Departments..... using a nuclear-powered radio tower....to make sure people get put down on a CALL SHEET....

Edited by Remember585

What the heck is an "EMS worker"? Is that like an ambulance driver?

You could kinda say that! The Somers VFD allows people to join as EMS Only to support the Ambulance. They are not required to do firefighting or take firefighting courses. These people are required to become EMT's, however we do accept applications for just Ambulance Drivers.

Alternate radio channels / frequencies - a concept not yet grasped by certain northern County Departments..... using a nuclear-powered radio tower....to make sure people get put down on a CALL SHEET....

That is one huge reason why we moved over! Especially being a neighbor, their nuclear-powered tower actually interferred with our dispatches all the way over, down in the valley of Shenorock! We had it- and no one was doing anything about it! With some grants and other funds, we were able to do the changeover quite quickly- before someone got hurt or killed.

Nice dig this morning-huh? "All Somers units clear, returning to SOMERS FREQUENCY".

biggrin.gif

I was actually out of the room for that one, but I like it!