Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roeems87

Tarrytown-Tappan Zee Bridge MVA--9/6/04

3 posts in this topic

Date: 9-6-04

Time: approx 9:30AM

Description: MVA involving a tractor trailer and small auto. The car contained three passengers who were DOS (they were burned inside the car). The trailer apparently rear-ended the auto causing the gas tank to instantly explode killing all three inside. The driver of the truck had minor injuries. It is unknown at this time if the vehicle was disabled or not. It was in the right lane and going at a very slow rate of speed if moving at all.

Frequency: Unknown--many

Units: FD, PD, EMS from Westchester and Rockland sides of the bridge.

Writer: roeems87

NOTE: The southbound side of the bridge has only ONE lane open and I am assuming it will be that way for some time. be aware of this for your Labor day travel plans. Delays are in both directions for miles.

Sorry I don't have all the details, I heard it on the news and was shocked it wasn't on here yet. I didn't listen to it on the scanner so I don't know all the progression of it. Please leave details as they become available.

Also just to add.... There is a major pollution problem in the Hudson, all units are trying to contain the the oil spill in the Hudson. Yonkers PD Marine 1 unable to respond to the scene due to assisting with a sunk boat in Yonkers.

With regards to the pollution problem in the river, Tarrytown FD Marine 5 was on the scene, Ossining was there assisting in river traffic duties as they instituted a no-wake zone around the spill, and if I'm not mistaken Piermont was called in to assist in that as well. There were also some CoastGuard vessels out of Staten Island and the Tarrytown Harbor master was out with Tarrytown Chief 2461.

2469 was with Irvington Chief at dockside working on incident command.

Sorry don't recall all the proper names for some of the marine units, etc.