Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang22_2002

Tentative FDNY Contract?

12 posts in this topic

I heard last night on the news that FDNY has reached a tentative agreement with the city , anyone have any other info ?

I heard last night on the news that FDNY has reached a tentative agreement with the city , anyone have any other info ?

Lucky rookie looks

to quit cops for FDNY

BY ERNEST NASPRETTO and ALISON GENDAR

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Rookie cop Stuart Ingram, saved from knife attack by NYPD badge, may trade that badge for job as firefighter.

He may soon be handing in the badge that saved his life.

Rookie cop Stuart Ingram's application to join the FDNY has been accepted, and he can enter the Fire Academy's next class, the Daily News has learned.

Ingram has long dreamed of joining the FDNY, but now finds himself in an awkward position.

The smiling young cop was held up for praise by NYPD brass just two days ago after the badge pinned to his chest shielded him from harm when an alleged drunken driver stabbed him after nearly running down a nun, Hannah Cox.

The blade shattered against Ingram's shield, allowing him to arrest his attacker and escape with only a cut on his finger.

Before the clash, the 22-year-old had planned to leave the NYPD on March 12, police and fire sources said yesterday.

Ingram's father is Fire Battalion Chief Robert Ingram. The rookie cop also has two uncles in the FDNY, relatives said.

"He wants to follow in his father's footsteps," the cop's grandfather Robert Ingram said. "He took tests for both departments but didn't know when he was going to get called by the FDNY. He graduated from the Police Academy Dec. 26 . . . and then learned he would be in the Fire Academy's next class."

After appearing on the front page of yesterday's Daily News for his heroics, Stuart Ingram was reluctant to say if he still intends to join the FDNY.

"Once I hear something official, I can make my decision," he said. "I took that test when I was 17, so it was quite a bit before yesterday."

An NYPD spokesman wished Ingram well whichever uniform he chooses, while Patrolmen's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch said the cop's potential exit illustrates wider recruiting problems.

NYPD and FDNY recruits now earn the same salary - $25,100. But the new firefighters contract announced last night will raise the pay of FDNY probies to $35,000.

"Unfortunately, the city will have to spend about $100,000 to recruit, screen and train someone to replace Ingram, and that person is likely to leave for a better job, too," Lynch said.

What about current FF/Officer salaries...do they see a hike as well?

officers negotiate their own contract

I gotta say, its really sad and sucks to see whats going on with the PD...

I hope they get some kinda boost soon too...they deserve it, especially with all the crap going on

In time, in time...

MAYOR BLOOMBERG ANNOUNCES TENTATIVE AGREEMENT WITH THE UNIFORMED FIREFIGHTERS’ ASSOCIATION

Pay for Rookies Increased from $25,100 to $35,000

Collective Bargaining Agreement Includes Over 8% Wage Increase, Total Compensation Increases Almost 10%, and Covers Over 8,900 Firefighters, Fire Marshals and Fireboat Wipers

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Uniformed Firefighters’ Association (UFA) President Stephen J. Cassidy today announced that a tentative contract settlement has been reached on a collective bargaining agreement covering the period from August 1, 2006 through July 31, 2008. The agreement covers two years, and it includes an 8.16% wage increase and a significantly improved salary structure for newly hired employees including those hired after the first class of 2006. When a uniform differential of 1.5% is factored in, total compensation increases by almost 10%. Under the agreement, the salary for rookie Firefighters is increased by $10,000 to $35,000. The agreement is funded, in part, through productivity enhancements and other measurable savings. This settlement establishes the parameters for this round of bargaining with the uniformed services.

“This is a great example of a union coming to the table and making a good faith effort to reach an agreement,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “By working together the City and the UFA have provided for raises for union members. We want to give equitable wage increases to all City employees. I am pleased this contract does that in an especially important area, the pay for rookie Firefighters.”

“Today’s agreement represents a significant raise for New York City Firefighters and the introduction of specialty pay, which has been sought by this union for over twenty years,” said UFA President Steve Cassidy. “I thank the Mayor and Commissioner Hanley.”

The principal features of the settlement, including compounded wage increases of over 8%, and total compensation increases of almost 10% during the contract for current Firefighters, are as follows:

• 4% salary increase effective August 1, 2006

• 4% salary increase compounded, effective August 1, 2007

At the end of this contract, a Firefighter’s basic maximum salary will be $68,475.

• New Hires:

Effective April 1, 2007, the salary schedule for Firefighters newly appointed, including those hired after the first class of 2006, will be as follows:

Effective

April 1, 2007

Entry Rate $35,000

After One Year $36,725

After Two Years $40,000

After Three Years $44,000

After Four Years $48,500

Basic Maximum after 5 years $65,841

• Special Assignment

Effective July 1, 2007, there will be an assignment differential of twelve percent (12%) payable to a category of Firefighters detailed on “special assignment” to Hazmat and Rescue Companies upon satisfactory completion of a review period established by the Fire Department.

• Longevity Schedule

Effective September 1, 2007, the longevity schedule will be increased by $1,000 at each step.

• Chauffeur/Tillerman Differential

Effective September 1, 2007, the differential for performing Chauffeur or Tillerman duties will be increased to 3.00%.

• Security Benefit Fund

Effective July 31, 2008, the City’s contribution to the Welfare Fund (Security Benefit Fund) will be increased by $80.00 per annum per retiree, for retirees only.

• Uniform Allowance

Effective July 31, 2008, the amount paid by the City to each Fire Marshal for a uniform allowance will be increased by $1,100 per annum.

• Legislative Support

The UFA will support legislation for a new article 1B medical board.

• Annuity

Effective April 1, 2007, for employees hired on or after April 1, 2007, the $1,150 additional annuity contribution remitted by the City of New York on behalf of employees during the first one and one-half years of service shall cease.

Effective April 1, 2007, for employees hired on or after April 1, 2007, there shall be no annuity contributions remitted during the employees’ first five years of service.

• Night Shift Differential

Effective April 1, 2007, for employees hired on or after April 1, 2007, the night shift differential otherwise payable will be reduced by fifty percent (50%) during the first five (5) years of service.

• Holidays

Effective April 1, 2007, for employees hired on or after April 1, 2007, there will be six (6) fewer paid holidays during the first five (5) years of service. That is, there will be three (3) fewer paid holidays reflected in each of the two holiday checks.

At the announcement the Mayor thanked Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta, UFA President Stephen Cassidy and his Executive Board, Labor Commissioner James F. Hanley and First Deputy Commissioner Pamela S. Silverblatt and their team, and Budget Director Mark Page and his staff for their efforts in reaching this Agreement.

----------------

Unions need to stop with the f-ing givebacks. NYC's cost of living averages 4 to 5% a year (correct me if I'm wrong). Without the givebacks of night diff and holiday pay the new ff's contract gives an 8% increase to the average ff. Not bad for a city thats billions in the black this year and projected for another 3 billion next year. PD is looking down the same road and will be giving up productivity savings. When the city was in the gutters and the streets weren't safe NYPD and FDNY were paid a livable wage that was comprable and often better than surrounding depts. Now NYPD and FDNY are the lowest paid bar none thanks to the city slowly chipping away at their contracts. 6 days here, a half hour a tour there, and before long you can't retain recruits and have to ease standards.

Unions need to stop with the f-ing givebacks.  NYC's cost of living averages 4 to 5% a year (correct me if I'm wrong).  Without the givebacks of night diff and holiday pay the new ff's contract gives an 8% increase to the average ff.    Not bad for a city thats billions in the black this year and projected for another 3 billion next year. PD is looking down the same road and will be giving up productivity savings.  When the city was in the gutters and the streets weren't safe NYPD and FDNY were paid a livable wage that was comprable and often better than surrounding depts.  Now NYPD and FDNY are the lowest paid bar none thanks to the city slowly chipping away at their contracts.  6 days here, a half hour a tour there, and before long you can't retain recruits and have to ease standards.

absolutely right...but 4 and 4...no zeros, and we're back at the table at the end of this year I say take it...you're right cost of living is about 3.5% to 4 depending on who you talk to...I bet the PD gets a slightly better deal, but happy that neither plans to starve the young...this year!

Ohh man, don't even get me started on that crime all of emergency services committed last time around. I'm just glad it didn't happen to me. I don't know if I could have taken this job that I would kill for had the starting been that low.

oh and I guess its time to call a hook and get to SOC for a real raise!

more money and a third arm...sign me up