Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD750

46.26 pager

4 posts in this topic

I have a simple question. Why does my 46.26 pager pick up better then my BC350A scanner with a antenna. The pager is just sitting by the window in my office and always going off and my scanner is quiet. Just curious is there a logic to this? I'm not complaining I like it,I hear everything just wondering why.

This is due to the fact that you the receiver in your pager is about a million times better than your scanner. If its a minitor II its even better than the III or the IV due to its crystal controlled receiver. I have an old Bearcat crystal scanner and it picks up Tokyo PD its so sensitive (joke of course).

You can not compare commercial grade equipment to anything other than other commercial equipment. Go get an AOR scanner and you will see what I mean.

Edited by roofsopen

Yeah I hear ya I'm listening right now and it's crazy,I'll use the scanner for PD and the pager which is a II for the county I just can't get over the reception. Thanks for the info.

Just like Roofsopen said, your pager is tuned to to 46.26 specifically, the older minitors operate with crystals and transistors but you can't compare one to another.

A scanner like your 350A is basically a low end "communications receiver". If its an old crystal controlled unit or the later transistor bases scanners, a scanner is made obviously to listen to several frequencies and gos through many "processors" so to speak to get from the electrical impulses of radio waves to intelligible audio.

Scanners are also prone to electrical interference such as from TVs, computers and other electronics, just like your pager.

Another problem why your 350A isn't picking up great is more than likely your antenna. If you have the antenna that came with the unit, make sure that it is fully extended all the way. Also try another antenna or purchase one that you can get outside.

Here's a test for you, when the weather gets better, take your scanner outside as is, plug it into an out let and see if the reception is better or worse than when you had it inside. Then try different locations in the house also and see if there is a difference.

With radios its location, location, location for the best reception. Check RadioReference.com for some more stuff on this.