Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EMS:The Forgotten First Responder

14 posts in this topic

Got an Email from NAEMT today that mentioned some news in their legislative agenda. After surfing around, i came across www.advocatesforems.org, which lobbies in Washington on behalf of EMS and found this absolutely great article. It outlines that gaps in organization and major deficits in resources EMS experience country-wide. I urge everyone, even if your not involved with EMS, to read this and take some time to reflect on the very disturbing findings.

http://www.advocatesforems.org/Library/upload/NYUEMSreport.pdf

I only read the first page but I cant tell you one thing, EMS has always been the red headed step child of the emrgency services. Whether it be funding, pay, benifits, or recognition we always are in last place. To the public there are firemen, police officers, and "ambulance drivers". Nuff said.

Sad isn't it? Humpin' for 8, 16, or 24 hours, in and out of some of worst housing conditions you could imagine, exposed to countless unmentionables, get paid crap, get little recognition, etc., etc., etc. and, hey, they wont even drop a few dollars on us so that we can do our job in the event of a major disaster. Meanwhile, no one bats an eye when a few thousand dollar grant drops out of the sky for a low-volume FD.

Edited by 66Alpha1

I only read the first page but I cant tell you one thing, EMS has always been the red headed step child of the emrgency services. Whether it be funding, pay, benifits, or recognition we always are in last place. To the public there are firemen, police officers, and "ambulance drivers". Nuff said.

Unfortunately, in many areas of the country you can also add 911 and police dispatchers to the group of red headed step children as well....often joining ems workers in last place in terms of pay and recognition. They're often verbally abused by the citizens who call on the phone for help, and considered just "those damn dispatchers" by many responders in the field.

Obviously we all know that there is definetly no parity between EMS and Police/Fire. What I don't understand is why locally we aren't doing anything about it. No one is going to lobby for us, except for us. No one is going to raise public awareness when it comes to EMS other than EMS providers. Even the "higher ups" around here barely do anything for us.

I can't help but laugh everytime I see a paramedic sitting on a couch at work complaining about how much EMS sucks because the FD and PD make more, have a pension, retirement, decent benefits, etc. God forbid they get off their lazy a** and do something to promote the field, increase public awareness, lobby local politicians for more funding, training, and recognition.

I always tell medics I still work with, I have a lot more pride being a medic than I do a police officer....

Obviously we all know that there is definetly no parity between EMS and Police/Fire.  What I don't understand is why locally we aren't doing anything about it.  No one is going to lobby for us, except for us.  No one is going to raise public awareness when it comes to EMS other than EMS providers.  Even the "higher ups" around here barely do anything for us.

I can't help but laugh everytime I see a paramedic sitting on a couch at work complaining about how much EMS sucks because the FD and PD make more, have a pension, retirement, decent benefits, etc.  God forbid they get off their lazy a** and do something to promote the field, increase public awareness, lobby local politicians for more funding, training, and recognition.   

I always tell medics I still work with, I have a lot more pride being a medic than I do a police officer....

You're right - EMS has never developed any kind of lobby anywhere and despite all the same issues, we are a divisive bunch... We're all so good at identifying this as the problem but do you have any suggestions for improving/correcting it? This may sound like a jab because this type of forum lacks the emotion of a conversation but I am asking sincerely.

I thoroughly enjoyed my years as a paramedic and if it had the kind of future or pay/benefits that the PD does, I probably would have stayed in it. Unfortunately, EMS in our area is hardly a career path.

I agree...I miss being on the ambulance but I make more than double what I used to...just wasn't worth working so hard for so little...but I would go back in a minute if it were at least close to equal!

There needs to be an organization formed that will tackle these issues. Getting a union is a step in the right direction, but there needs to be some larger group that can really rattle the cage in an effort to get things done. Something like the "coalition of concerned paramedics and EMTs", sounds kinda dumb but you get the idea...

Like a BENEVOLENCE ASSOCIATION...remember, the police unions are called PBA but that is not thier official union, they are constantly soliciting for donations and make political statements of support which get them some voice and power...An EMS association would have to organize, and allow both career and volunteers to participate, as well they would have to show voting power...support a candidate or negate a candidate....and put themself on the map. I am a member of the SEIU at work and our union is not the strongest out of the Yonkers Unions, but they have a welfare fund set up for the members and encourage us to show support as a group. When I was a member of the IAEP there was so much division in the ranks...too many personality conflicts...Someone ought to figure out how the IAFF and the PBA have coordinated their efforts for one common goal over and above the individual and then things will happen (of course this is opinion).

Like a BENEVOLENCE ASSOCIATION...remember, the police unions are called PBA but that is not thier official union, they are constantly soliciting for donations and make political statements of support which get them some voice and power...An EMS association would have to organize, and allow both career and volunteers to participate, as well they would have to show voting power...support a candidate or negate a candidate....and put themself on the map.  I am a member of the SEIU at work and our union is not the strongest out of the Yonkers Unions, but they have a welfare fund set up for the members and encourage us to show support as a group.  When I was a member of the IAEP there was so much division in the ranks...too many personality conflicts...Someone ought to figure out how the IAFF and the PBA have coordinated their efforts for one common goal over and above the individual and then things will happen (of course this is opinion).

Essentially, i suppose thats what needs to happen. Are there really enough people willing to do this as a life-long career, even if we had equal benefits? I see a lot, even on these forums, people that are career EMS providers but "pursuing a carrier in firefighting." It's almost as if EMS is the easiest thing to jump into so its used as a springboard until their FD number is called or the next best thing comes around. I worked for about a year with a great EMT, but he has since left EMS b/c he got hired as a career FF (which was what he really wanted in the first place). Is it me or does anyone else see this?

FYI there is a Westchester Coutny Association of Paramedics... it was started many many years ago, incorporated and everything, and it never went anywhere. I thought a few years ago about starting it up again, but regretfully never did. I actually just returned all the paperwork to it's rightful owner, but can get it back at anytime. If anyone is interested in such a venture PM me.

FYI there is a Westchester Coutny Association of Paramedics... it was started many many years ago, incorporated and everything, and it never went anywhere.  I thought a few years ago about starting it up again, but regretfully never did.  I actually just returned all the paperwork to it's rightful owner, but can get it back at anytime.  If anyone is interested in such a venture PM me.

That's the problem - there's this association and that association but they never grow any wings and fly (like the flying metaphor? biggrin.gif ).

I don't know what the solution is but there must be a way to support the industry in our area.

That's the problem - there's this association and that association but they never grow any wings and fly (like the flying metaphor?  biggrin.gif ).

I don't know what the solution is but there must be a way to support the industry in our area.

Very nice metaphor Chris, I think one solution is more public awareness through public information. Law Enforcement agencies have PIO's, FD's have PIO's... I don't know of too many EMS agencies that "aggressively" pursue media attention. Then EMS workers wonder why the only mention of them in that cardiac arrest save they had last week is typically the last line of the article... "patient was transported to the hospital by ambulance workers"... meanwhile the Police or Fire Department look like the heroes in the article. Because they have PIO's who disseminate this information, and who are they trying to make look good? Their agency.

I think that's just a start. The communities have to start realizing that we are not the "ambulance drivers" of the 1960's anymore... now EMS providers in some parts of the county are serving as speciality medics, trained beyond the scope of normal EMS practice... but does the community know that? No, they don't. There was a nice article in the Daily News a while back about FDNY's new rescue medics.. huge page article.. it brings a lot of positive attention to the field, and makes the public see that we're not just a glorified taxi.

I think we need to get the ball rolling on somthing.