Guest nickcabral

City of Danbury Announces New Fire Chief

1 post in this topic

[attachmentid=2328]

Veteran firefighter selected as chief

Danbury mayor picks Geoffrey Herald to lead department

By John Pirro

THE NEWS-TIMES

DANBURY -- Mayor Mark Boughton on Monday appointed Assistant Fire Chief Geoffrey Herald to be the city's new fire chief.

Herald, 51, who joined the Danbury Fire Department in 1979 and rose through the ranks during a 28-year career, will take over the job April 3, pending approval by the Common Council.

"I'm absolutely thrilled. It's a wonderful honor and it carries with it a lot of history," Herald said. "I'm looking forward to the challenge."

Herald will replace Acting Chief Phil Curran, who's led the department since November, when former Chief Peter Siecienski retired to take the position of assistant fire chief in Greenwich.

Curran, who had previously been the deputy chief, will remain on the job for several weeks to provide a smooth transition before he retires, capping a distinguished 37-year career.

"The learning curve is going to be pretty steep," Herald said. "But that's what the fire service is all about, learning the job and teaching others to follow in your path."

Boughton called Herald, who began his career with the Germantown Volunteer Fire Department in 1974, "the best choice for the position of chief."

The selection caps a months-long search that involved two interview panels, the first comprised of other fire chiefs from around the state, the second made up of local officials, including Curran; Councilman Fred Visconti; Charles Coakley and Bernard Gallo, the current and past presidents of the Danbury Volunteer Fireman's Council, respectively; Boughton's chief of staff, Michael McLachlan; and Personnel Director Virginia Alosco-Werner.

"He brings a wealth of experience, training and knowledge about our spectacular firefighters," Boughton said. "I expect Chief Herald will be a fine leader."

Herald noted his career has been "bookended by Mayor Boughtons." Herald was appointed to the paid department in 1979 by former Mayor Donald Boughton, the father of the city's current chief executive.

The new chief, who lives in Danbury with his wife, Mimi, holds an associate's degree in fire science from Waterbury State Technical College and a bachelor's degree in social science from Western Connecticut State University.

He has received numerous certifications from the National Fire School and the Connecticut Commission of Fire Prevention and Control.

"I first got involved as a volunteer because I wanted to be involved in the community," he said. "I found I really enjoyed the fire service and it took to me."

He was promoted to lieutenant in 1990, earned the rank of captain in 1998, and was made an assistant chief in February 2006.

"Each position I held was the best job I could imagine," Herald said. "But each time you look up, there is a new position and you want to meet the challenge."

Herald attributed much of his success to the examples set by those he served under, such as Curran, former assistant Chief Gene Tomanio and Siecienski.

"They really instilled a sense of helping younger firefighters," he said. "My goal right now is to make the transition and learn what the job entails."

post-802-1175005404.jpg