Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Thruway Authority to continue maintaining I-84

2 posts in this topic

Thruway Authority to continue maintaining I-84

www.midhudsonnews.com

Albany – The state Thruway Authority will continue to provide the maintenance for I-84 as it passes through New York in Putnam, Dutchess and Orange counties.

The Thruway Authority was going to hand it back to the state Department of Transportation as a means of saving money since the Thruway was going to do away with certain tolls in the Buffalo area.

But, Senator John Bonacic of Mount Hope Friday said the Assembly, Senate and governor have reached an agreement to allow the Thruway Authority to continue its role. The DOT will fund the work.

Bonacic was among those lawmakers in the lead on this effort, pushing to have the Thruway maintain the work. He said that agency has done a “significantly better job than the DOT in maintaining the roadway,” particularly the Greenville Mountain stretch between exit 2 at Greenville and exit 1 in Port Jervis.

The agreement was reached by at the Transportation Budget Committee meeting Friday. Bonacic is a member of that committee.

This is good news for departments that cover I-84 as we maybe able to continue to receive reimbursement monies for service.

this is not good news for the 80 or so new employees of dot who were to be hired in this budget and the many jobs and pay raises that the dot in the lower hudson valley were praying for as of apr 1st the dot contract has expired and we are working with out one no negotations are scheuled yet as of today

so alot of people were hoping for the dot to take over the road again the way we were told was the thurway didnot waNT IT AFTER OCTOBER 2007 even though the 14 million dollars was there

in the budget theyt said they were going to use it for the employees of the hudson valley region to ofset our pay well it sounds like goverment at its best again