Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huzzie59

EMS & HIPAA Regulations

8 posts in this topic

What is the line between information that is allowed to be made public and information that is not?

A newspaper article may list the name of victims in a car accident and their injuries. A house fire and the names and injuries/condition of the patients.

Where is the line that cannot be crossed?

Where can I look up information on this subject?

you cant forget HIPPA!!! As EMS personnel you are not allowed to disclose any information about your patient. Only PD and the Hospital can, and thats at their discretion.

What is the line between information that is allowed to be made public and information that is not?

A newspaper article may list the name of victims in a car accident and their injuries. A house fire and the names and injuries/condition of the patients.

EMS cannot release any patient information, except maybe to a regulatory agency like the Department of Health. If a newspaper article releases the names of the victims of an MVA or a fire, then those names probably came from PD. As far as crossing a line, I like to err more on the side of caution and use those two infamous words: "no comment." I'd rather sound like a jerk to a reporter than violate established law and leave myself open for litigation.

Edited by WolfEMT

EMS cannot release any patient information, except maybe to a regulatory agency like the Department of Health. If a newspaper article releases the names of the victims of an MVA or a fire, then those names probably came from PD. As far as crossing a line, I like to err more on the side of caution and use those two infamous words: "no comment." I'd rather sound like a jerk to a reporter than violate established law and leave myself open for litigation.

I've always been advised not to use the phrase "no comment" - it is a shut down. The best way to deal with the media is to refer them to the appropriate person for the information (in reality all you're doing is getting them away from you but it makes people think you're helping them).

As an EMS provider any information that can link an individual's identity to their medical history or treatment is protected.

Please stop calling it HIPPA. It's HIPAA. And guess what, "Privacy" is not part of the abbreviation. (hint, hint)

Thank you WAS. So many like talking about HIPAA as if there is some serious HIPAA police out there. HIPAA primarily deals with the electronic transfer and storage of patient information and insurance information, especially dealing with medicare/medicaid.

HIPAA has nothing to do with it. A patient's right to privacy does.