Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Westerchester County Airport and Fuel Tankers

8 posts in this topic

I took my usual route home after getting off Putnam this morning. Got off 684 at Exit 2 and took the road that goes right next to the NetJets hanger towards King Street (and home!). As i drove down, there were three Mystic tanker trucks parked on either side of the road, filled with what i presume is JP-7 jet fuel. This is nothing new, these trucks always sit on the side of the road, have been for years. For some reason seeing those tankers got me thinking. Is it really THAT safe to have 3 fully loaded jet fuel tankers sitting on the side of the road? What about terrorism, public safety/health, security, etc. concerns? Discuss away!

I took my usual route home after getting off Putnam this morning. Got off 684 at Exit 2 and took the road that goes right next to the NetJets hanger towards King Street (and home!). As i drove down, there were three Mystic tanker trucks parked on either side of the road, filled with what i presume is JP-7 jet fuel. This is nothing new, these trucks always sit on the side of the road, have been for years. For some reason seeing those tankers got me thinking. Is it really THAT safe to have 3 fully loaded jet fuel tankers sitting on the side of the road? What about terrorism, public safety/health, security, etc. concerns? Discuss away!

IT's easy, after they blow them up then they will move them and not allow them to park there. how about a car /truck running into them, non terrorism! cool.gif

I went through the airport as well yesterday, saw them there early in the morning and then they were still there when I left around 1 p.m. ... Made me think as well. One of them was actually in the travel portion of the road.

Any thing could have touched them off.

At this time, I think terrorism isn't a serious concern there. If it were me, I'd be all about attacking random seemingly insignifcan targets and let public pannic ensue. Terrorist however have a tendancy to gavitate towards big headline grabbing targets. An MVA, thats a much bigger issue. Maybe they're hoping to get a cheap parking lot cleared in that area.

Surprised this isnt a more popular/concerning topic. I guess some are too busy worrying about sirens, LEDs and all that crap... mad.gif

Edited by 66Alpha1

Are local fire departments ready if an accident such as an MVA with one of the tankers should occur? Do local departments train or drill on this subject?

Are local fire departments ready if an accident such as an MVA with one of the tankers should occur? Do local departments train or drill on this subject?

I'd say they get a fair amount of training and "drills"... wink.gif

287 Propane Tanker - White Plains

Central Avenue/I-87 Gasoline Tanker - Yonkers

Route 9A Gasoline Tanker - Hawthorne

Route 9A Gasoline Tanker - Briarcliff

I-95 Gasoline Tanker - Stamford

Route 9A Gasoline Tanker - Ossining (this one didn't burn - just overturned)

Route ??? Propane Tanker - Bedford/Somers (overturn)

I'd say they get a fair amount of training and "drills"...    wink.gif

287 Propane Tanker - White Plains

Central Avenue/I-87 Gasoline Tanker - Yonkers

Route 9A Gasoline Tanker - Hawthorne

Route 9A Gasoline Tanker - Briarcliff

I-95 Gasoline Tanker - Stamford

Route 9A Gasoline Tanker - Ossining (this one didn't burn - just overturned)

Route ??? Propane Tanker - Bedford/Somers (overturn)

Thats true they have had a fair amount of training, drills, and real life experiances.

Does anyone know if Westchester County Airport has a crash crew and what kind of rigs they have?