Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryefd192

Sizeup Question

6 posts in this topic

As I was driving today I heard something on my scanner that struck me as kinda funny. Auburn Fire was dispatched to an EMS call, as they always are. When the battalion(sp?) car got there he gave the size up, "10 story educational building, nothing visible from the exterior." My question is, besides as either force of habit or just to get used to doing it, why would someone give a size up of this nature for a medical call. Also, does anyone here do anything like this, and what are your reasons for doing so.

i have never heard anything like that being done for EMS. Do you know the nature of the call, other than the fact it was EMS. Did you catch the syptoms or anything. My guess would be it is like second nature to him and he slipped. Also along those lines do the BC normally go on EMS calls? My gut feeling is telling me that he slipped up. oh well can hurt anyone to give a size up.

I guess it depends on the call type and other info in the call. 10 story building with nothing more than a street adress nothing showing (people out front or out a window flagging you) is a problem. What was the call type? Inhalation injuries, MVA or Ped Struck (So far my best is 8 stories up), burns. Incomming units could benefit from a size-up.

Not "normal" in my experience, but I like it. Practice it on the small $hit so its easier on the big $hit. Just like ICS...my former department did it exactly like that on all calls but EMS calls. This is a trend I see here where departments are starting to use some buzz words, like establishing (not "assuming") command on first arrival of fires...but then crickets on all others. Do it on all jobs it works for everything and gets you into the swing.

The call was for an allergic reaction in a specific room in the building so that is why it struck me as so funny. The BC goes on all calls they run. Auburn's Department is very good about establishing command and doing size up. They are a paid dept. and a few of their guys have joined our volunteer department and have "inspired" us to do the same.

Not sure why the call of nothing showing other then a habit slip but adding info about the building on EMS calls can assist in why it may have taken a while to get to the patient. Calling on scene and not getting to the patient in several more minutes due to being on the 10th floor and using elevators (which is time consuming) may explain delays in treatment and extended on scene times which are tracked by organizations through QA/QI. Not sure if Auburn transports or just a FR so it may be for different reasons.