Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

Canadian Mutual Aid to Vermont

11 posts in this topic

Check this article out on FireHouse.com I know that mutual aid between states and counties happens all the time (Putnam to Westchester, Westchester to Fairfield, etc) but I never thought that regular mutual aid would be rendered across the Canadian Border from Sutton, QC to Richford, VT.

FireHouse.com - Fatal VT House Fire

Anyone who has/does live on the NY and New England boarders to Canada, please opine if you've got any experience with this.

Does the border crossing get notified by fire dispatch that an inbound piece of apparatus is responding. Does the rig stop at customs and get a quick and dirty search. How does all this work?

I would imagine that the border would be notified that incoming m/a fire apparatus and or ems assets are enroute to the states and they would be let through accordingly.

It is my understanding that cross border mutual aid occurs with some frequency and yes the border crossing station must be notified and I believe the firefighters must stop and show ID. Things can get complicated at the border. In Newport, VT, for example, the town library and "Opera House" (theater) is built on the border. Part of the Library is in the United States and part is in Canada and there actually is a line across the floor of the Library. In the theater (part of the same building) the stage and the first couple of rows of seats are in Canada and the remainder of the seating is in the US. There also is a large factory that is part in the US and part in Canada and a home in which the living room is in the US and the kitchen is in Canada and occupants can choose to sleep in Canada or the US simply by moving their bed from one side of the room the the other!!!!

Also there is a Fire Dept (and I can not remember the name at the moment) that covers a district that is part in Vermont, part in New Hampshire and part in Canada.

Thats kinda cool

As a member of a fire dept. outside of Burlington, VT, Yes, along the northern border, across all the states (VT, NH, ME, NY, and across to Washington), mutual aid does happen.

Yes, the border crossing is notified, and best part....the guys don't

need to stop!!!

So, if you are in a fire engine with lights and sirens, keep on a

truckin!!!

Great, GREAT international relations. Where else in the world does this occurr ?

wow that is pretty crazy, to have another counrty come mutual aid to your dept.

wonder is we (USA) ever went mutual aid to mexico!?!

Part of the issue with builiing a wall between US and Mexico is the mutual aid between the towns that surround the border.

Mutual aid is carried out between the US and Mexico.

Part of the issue with builiing a wall between US and Mexico is the mutual aid between the towns that surround the border.

Mutual aid is carried out between the US and Mexico.

I think building a wall to protect our country from illegals/terrorists is a little more important than mutual aid for fires/E.M.S. to Mexico. Sorry…that’s a different topic!

I think building a wall to protect our country from illegals/terrorists is a little more important than mutual aid for fires/E.M.S. to Mexico.  Sorry…that’s a different topic!

Gotta agree with you here... I think mutual aid will still be available with a wall - they would just use the existing border crossing points. The wall is more of an issue between the legal crossing points.

Such a big part of the issue...lol. The wall is for those parts of the border with no roads and such. I doubt it would pose an issue for a rig trying to cross the border.