Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Sleepy Hollow 2nd Alarm

4 posts in this topic

Date:05/17/07

Time:Circa 09:30

Location: 38 Beekman Ave. Cross of North Washington St. and Lawrence Ave.

Frequency: 46.26/Sleepy Hollow FD Disp. & Ops/Multiple WCDES Firegrounds

Units Operating: (Onlocation)

Sleepy Hollow: Car 2311,2312,2313,Engines 85,86,87,Tower Ladder 38,Rescue 12

Tarrytown:Car 2461,2462,Engine 80,Ladder 37

Ossining:Car 2331,2334,Engine 98,Utly 51(FAST)

Pocantico Hills: Car 2381,Engine 189

Briarcliff Manor: Car 2051 Rescue 37(Cascade)

Elmsford: Car 2112, Tower Ladder

Valhalla: Car 2481, Rescue 9 (FAST)

Croton: Engine 119 (FAST)

Millwood: Car 2251, Engine 248,Utly 44

Buchanan: Car 2551,2552, Utiy 12 (Cascade)

Verplanck: Bus (Rehab unit)

WCDES: Car 2, Battalion 10,14,Cause & Origin

Sleepy Hollow PD

Sleepy Hollow EMS

Units On Stand-by:

Pocantico Hills: Car 2381,Engine 189 (After released from working at scene)

Dobbs Ferry: Engine 48

Braircliff Manor: Car 2051,Tower Ladder 40

Irvington: U/K

Tarrytown VAC: Ambulance

Description Of Incident: Working Fire in a 3 Story Brick Commercai & Resid. (Taxpayer) Style Structure, (Apartment Building as per "The Journl News") Fire Origin was in Apartment on 3rd floor (A,D) Corner.

Writer: ONLOCATION (OS)

This post has been edited by Truck4: May 18 2007, 02:53 PM

I'm just curious - according to this there were 17 Chief Officers on the scene (and more on stand-by). What did they all do? That's an awful lot of bugles isn't it?

It was also a pretty zippy scene - there were three different FAST units. (haha) Please enlighten the donut eater, how do three FAST operate on the same fire scene?

In another post I asked for a critque of the operations. I spoke to a number of people who were at the scene and they had nothing but positive things to say.

A lot of equipment. I understand three ladders were in operation. I understand manpower was one of the reasons for so many companies.

I know some people don't like to post because of the "Monday Morning Quarteerbacks", but I think all the questions and answers helps everybody.

In another post I asked for a critque of the operations. I spoke to a number of people who were at the scene and they had nothing but positive things to say.

A lot of equipment. I understand three ladders were in operation. I understand manpower was one of the reasons for so many companies.

I know some people don't like to post because of the "Monday Morning Quarteerbacks", but I think all the questions and answers helps everybody.

Yeah, some of the negative people really push people back into the shadows. I'm not second guessing anything, I just wonder how 17 Chiefs got assigned at the job. Usually the problem is not enough command level supervision at a scene and in this case there was no shortage of it.

Most Fire Departments will send a Chief Officer on Mutual Aid with the requested apparatus. Some will send two or three Chiefs. That's their choice. Whether it's right or not isn't for us to debate. In our case we generally send only one and leave the rest to "mind the store."

In the case of this fire, and many others like it, Chief Officers will check in at the Command Post (assuming there actually is one) and if not needed to function as a Chief, Division, Group or Sector Leader, they sometimes go back to their roots as firefighters and pitch in. In my humblest of opinions, if Command feels he or she has a good hold of the incident and doesn't need any more Chiefs, then putting them to work as "indians" is a wise move.

I think, and this is just my opinion based on what I saw so don't take it for gospel, there was a "sizable" amount of apparatus because the departments responding Mutual Aid weren't sending a ton of people, but an organized, controllable amount. I would say that for the most part, Mutual Aid companies respond with an average of 6 members, which is a good crew to send and still leaves plenty of personnel at home.

Let's not forget too that much of the area to the north of Sleepy Hollow took a bit of a whoopin' the day before, and members were proabably exhausted and/or taking care of problems at home.

Chris - 3 FASTs were called, two were used as suppression/overhaul crews, leaving but one as the committed FAST. In my own opinion, with a building of this size and with the number of personnel working, another one or even two still wouldn't have been overkill.

Good job SHFD & all Mutual Aiders, no lives were lost, nobody was injured (I think) and the building can and will more then likely be rebuilt.